Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 300 Pro Ruined by Phantom...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Hi, can anyone tell me if phantom power will damage my new Fender 300 Pro?

The fender website doesn't say anything about it, nor does the manual, and neither do they have an info mail address where I can ask?

It's the same as the Sunn 300T I would imagine... anyone damaged their's by phantom power?

2. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    While looking on Fender.com for an email address to ask a question, I came across on their website their "Fender Hotline" phone #. It wasn't an 800 number or anything, but I got through after a few minutes of waiting and actually talked to a human being.

gg

EDIT: Found the "Fender Consumer Hotline" phone#. (It isn't too easy to find on their website :eyebrow: )
    Maybe they can answer your question: 480-596-7195

3. I don't have one of these but the term I look for to indicate that the unit is safe for phantom power is "transformer isolated." This means that there is no actual hard wired connection between the voltage coming from the PA because the signal is being sent via the windings of a transformer.

Excuse me if you alerady know all this.

4. Well, it doesn't say transformer isolated, but it does say transformer balanced? is that the same thing? Does that mean it is safe?

5. Bump

I neet to know this soon, as I will be needing to run the line-out at a gig the day after christmas, 10 hours from home...

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Be on the safe side, run a seperate DI on that gig.

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I'm pretty positive that "transformer-balanced" means you're okay for phantom power. But I'm certainly no expert, and I wouldn't trust me with your expensive amp, if i were you. If that made sense. :D

8. Do ya feel lucky...
    -Dirty Harry

Are you willing to sit on the curb and play Russian Roulette with your new rig?

If this thought doesn't appeal to you, I suggest an external DI.

My SWR IOD means more to me than some sound man's empty promises, so I refuse to allow FOH to connect to my IOD DI. I carry a Countryman 85 for this, or use the house's DI.

9. Thanx guys. I'll use a DI for that gig then. I would still like to find out if my Line Out is protected though, as if I use the post out option, then I can send the desk my distortion and eq changes that I do via footswitch as well...

Otherwise I'll have to try mic'ing?

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Just mic the dern thing.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Test the DO with an ohmeter. You should read resistance from pin 2 to 3, and an open circuit from pin 1 to either pin 2 or 3. If that's the case you're OK.

12. I'll have to check that out Bill, I'm no wiz with an ohmeter...

I have sorted out a simple fix for this gig at least (dunno why I didn't think of it earlier...). I'm running the power amp pass through line into the DI - as far as I know, that is like running an unbalanced line from the preamp into the DI which goes to FOH.

I think this will work for now, but I would still really like to find out if the DI is protected, that would just make my life much easier!

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Protection per se isn't required, phantom puts out a positive charge on both legs of the balanced line, the only time you run into trouble is if the source is unbalanced, ie. the ground wire also carries signal. That should never occur with any XLR send, but just because it shouldn't doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I really never thought about this until now but a couple of the sound men we work with use phantom power for their condensors mics. I know one guy has a Mackie board that sends phantom power to all the channels when activated. I use the XLR on the back of my SWR 750 and I have never had a problem in the last 3 years. I'm also not telling you that you are 100% safe but I'm just giving my experience.