Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 300 PS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AaronS, Aug 20, 2003.

1. A tech friend just finished fixing the ground and putting new tubes and caps on a 1976 vintage 300 PS. The owner wants to sell it for $300. It sounds pretty decent through the Carvin 212 cab my buddy uses for testing in his shop, but neither he nor I know anything more about these amps than the tube complement, the schematic diagram he got from Fender and the info on the Ampwares "Fender Field Guide" website. Has anyone here had any experience with them? Is it worth trying to negotiate a deal, or should the model name have been "POS" instead of "PS"?

2. Lemme put it this way; if you don't want to pay $300 for it, I'll happily do so. You've heard the amp, so you know if its tone suits your playing. If you like it, go for it, BUT they ARE a pain to maintain as the bias tends to get out of whack real easy and it'll start eating output tubes. It uses a transformer coupled 6V6 as an inverter and runs its outputs unbelievably hard. It WILL eat cheap 6550's and I believe only runs an 8 ohm output.

3. I took it to a shop today and compared it to an Ashdown ABM 300 and a Genz Benz 600, all through the same 2x12 Genz Benz cab. The Ashdown was the tone winner in my book, but the Fender came in second. And it even sounds really good with my Tele. I guess I've got to come up with $300. Is anybody aware of other problems I should be aware of before I buy this amp.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just learned about the 400ps, I think the 300ps is its little bro. I met a guy named Rich who runs a 400ps users club, his site is www.timeelect.com He plays bass too, so I told him to join TB. He has some very interesting Fender info to share.