Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 300PS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boo, Nov 21, 2004.

1. boo

boo

Oct 12, 2002
    Netherlands
    Hi Guys,

I just bought a Fender 300PS all tube amp. The minimunm load for the speaker is 8 Ohm. I would like to use a Ampeg 8x10" with it but there is only one problem..........the Ampeg is 4 Ohm......... is it possible to rewire the 8x10" to 8 ohm or should i get 2 4 ohm 4x10" cabs and use them in serie ???
    What do yah think ?????

[​IMG]

2. It won't hurt the amp to use a 4 ohm load on the output. You'll lose power and headroom, but it won't kill it. It's not a solid state amp, and the rules are different. It won't sound its best, but it WILL work.

3. 61SG

61SG

Nov 10, 2004
    What a great find! That head looks to be in immaculate condition. I wish my 400PS was in such good condition.

4. i used to have a bassman 20 like the one on the picture. nice combo used it mostly at home and it sounded great. traded it for a hartke 3500(ok ok but i needed the power)
    nice to see one again!

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Isn't that the amp with Three 135 watt outputs?

Is it possible to run just one load?

6. boo

boo

Oct 12, 2002
    Netherlands
    Nope, that's the Fender 400PS ;)

http://www.timeelect.com/400-PS-IDX.htm

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I use to own a 300ps. It was a pretty good amp, but it was just way too heavy, and would get muddy sounding after about an hours playing time. Let us know how you like yours!

8. Thats an awesome lookin amp, too bad it only goes to 8 ohms, that would limit its potential for me. Good score!

9. How is the orginal cab (the 4x12 diamond configuration)?

Does it do big fat low?

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You are on a search for Zombies today!!! Seven year old thread!

11. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    4x12 diamond cab? Take a search on that.. that is easily Fenders most hated bass cabinet they have ever made.

12. "You are on a search for Zombies today!!! Seven year old thread!"

; somebody having a bad day??

Next time I will open a new topic, is that better??

13. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    If I recall correctly, Bill Fitzmaurice said about that 4x12 that it's very thin sounding and wasn't very popular at the time.

That is, if I recall correctly.

If you can buy the 300PS without the cab, I'd do so. Don't waste any money on that cab. You can find better 8 ohm cabs than that for cheap (2x15 black widows were made @ 8 ohm for example).

Oh and well, people around here always get a bit cranky if you respond to ye ol' threads. Guess they aren't really into the zombies

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    While I can't say that Peavey has never made an 8 ohm 2 x 15 cab, most of the 2 x 15 cabs they have made that I've run across, including my Black Widow 2 x 15 are 4 ohm cabs.

15. Hi, the reason why I asked this is that on a dutch forum I saw a few posts where poeple actually liked the cab.

My principle in bass sound is that it has to be bass not treble or middy stuff, So I came over to the US bass dude's to ask your opinion!:bag:

So thanks, I will not purchase the cab only the head!

16. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Being on both forums, I noticed that general tastes differ A LOT between both forums. Talkbass is more science based (although there are lots of vintage lovers too) and basgitaarforum is well... different :D.

And almost everyone who says 'bass, not treble or mids' does like certain mids, but doesn't know. You need some solid low mids to put down a deep, deep tone.