Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 400 Pro combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Has anyone had the opportunity to try one of these yet? I actually liked the Bassman 400 combo and was wondering if the sound was comparable, better, etc.

The stores in my area have not started stocking these yet, so I haven't had the chance to demo one yet.

2. Isn't it the same as the Bassman 400 combo, but with a tuner?

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    That's what I was thinking. I believe that it also has an external speaker jack.

4. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    I think this is basically the same unit tone wise. The new version however can produce 500 watts. With this revised version I think Fender is trying to keep up w/ the current high end combos wattage wise. I own a 2002 Bassman 400. Its a great amp, sounds better than some higher end models and is a great buy for the money.

5. According to Fender; changes made to the compression & enhance circuits, ext. speaker jack and upgraded cast frame speakers. I've owned the 400 Pro combo for about two months. IMO, they sound great, extremely well built and are a fantastic buy (got mine for under $900). The Korg tuner is gravey - good buy even if it didn't include it.

Quibbles? preamp level/clip indicator LED's don't function when the mute is engaged. Has a rack space but no power outlet for the rack devices. Has user replaceable fuse for the horn, but no user replaceable fuse or circuit breaker for the amp itself. No compression level LED indicators. These arn't THAT big of a deal - still a great sounding combo.

Fender is supposed to release a 4 ohm, 15" extention cabinet to mate with this combo also - cool :)