1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 400 Pro v. SWR Workingpro 210xc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkbass796, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Well i'm in the market for a new amp, as my small 15 watt Crate is really just not cutting it (it's 5 years old and I just don't like the tone). I like what I've heard and seen of the 400Pro and the Workingpro but i'm just trying to decide which one to get. I'm also open to other suggestions as well. I would like to stay with a combo but if there are some good stacks to be had for around the price of either of these two then please recommend.

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Fender has the 250/210 combo that sounds really good. Probably the better sounding bass amp Fender has had! Since Fender's buyout of SWR they've incorporated alot of SWR's features into the Fender line of bass amps. You'd basically have the Working pro but at less $$$.

3. The only thing about that combo is it doesn't have the ability to add an external cab. I would like that available to me because I plan on adding a 1X15, thus why I'm not considering it. Should've made that clear from the get go. Thanks though.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Mr. Funkbass796, Just another thought. What about a GK head and an Avatar 212 or 410 cab? Price wise that rig would be in the same range as the SWR. Plus it'd be alot more amp than a 210.

5. I was considering going that route. What head would you recommend? Is there a big difference between the 700rb and the 1001rb except for amount of power?

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Mr. Funkbass, I used the same GK800RB head for over twenty years. Great amp! Still have it and use it at rehearsals. It never went in for repairs for anything. If I was going to buy a new GK it'd be the 1001 series. Lots of power, great sound, very reasonable cost, light weight....probably the best value on the market. I've not played on a 700RB but from what has been said here on the forum, the 1001 is warmer sounding than the 700. I can say the 1001 I played at a "outside-equipment furnished gig" was great! Huge sounding through the Eden 410XLT it was running through.

7. I have the SWR 210c, it sounds better to me when you add an external cabinet. I went cheap and just used the 12" speaker off my old combo but it sounds wonderful 400w to 2x10 and 1x12. By itself it doesn't sound bad either but you have to boost the bass a bit since you only have 10's. I LOVE how easy the thing is to move with the casters and the tilting effect, I seriously didn't think it weighed 80lbs myself because of this. I would definately recommend those amps, not to mention it has a rack space slot for anything you want like a rackmount tuner or SansAmp RBI.

8. The Fender 400 Pro is an awsome sounding punchy and versatile head. plus it can go to 2ohms & 500 watts with an external 4ohm cab

9. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I've tried both, and for me, the SWR 2x10c is way better.

10. I swear even that was 10x better with an extension cab. I couldn't believe the added headroom it gave.

11. IME I find SWR's to be lacking in bottom end and when you push the lows they run out of headroom fast... I do like the clean fast side of their tone though ;-)

12. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    +1

I have the Fender 400 Pro Head with a Fender 4x10 Pro Sl cab and a 15" Eminance Kappa Pro speaker in an old Yamaha B115 combo (minus the head) cabinet. I'm very happy with it. :bassist: