1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender 400 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svenbeckers, Apr 8, 2006.

1. svenbeckers

svenbeckers

Apr 8, 2006
    Hello,

Does anyone own a fender 400 pro combo ?
    I have a problem with it. There are 2 leds that control the input gain :
    - preamp clip (red)
    - preamp signal (green or yellow)
    The manual states that the "preamp signal-light" should be constantly illuminated at moderate playing levels. Since I own a fender jazz upgraded with a j-retro, i turn on the active button. Now, the "preamp signal-light" only flashes occasionally when I turn the input gain knob almost all the way up. Is this normal ? I'm sure the battery in my bass is brandnew (I changed it to be sure) and my volume on the retro is at 80-85%. This should suffice to get a knockout input signal, no ? I'm afraid i'm not getting all I can from my amp although the volume is ok, it's a beast but I think it will sound better if I can get the input right. Would it be ok if I try to get what I want by putting the amp in passive mode or am i killing the amp or cab if i do that ?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    You won't kill the amp it will just be much easier to overdrive the pre amp. just turn off the active switch and turn the gain down and raise it up slowly until it gets to where it should be.

3. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I used a passive Jazz with my old 400 Pro and didn't always have a solid yellow light -- it just depended on the playing conditions. But this was never a problem. The 400 Pro has great sound and is truly an underrated amp IMHO.