Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 40th Anniversary Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dBerriff, Oct 6, 2005.

1. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Precision? They look quite stunning and I was just wondering what they are like to play and what their value is. I realise only 400 were made.

2. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I played one in a music store in Atlanta a few years ago. It was pretty but the feel and tone didn't do much for me. Not sure about the value, but I don't think they've appreciated a whole lot. You could probably find one for a little over $1,000 in the States.

3. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Many thanks for the quick response. They sure look pretty!

I would guess that not everyone likes the Lace Sensor pickups although I have found them to be ok on Strats and Teles.

It looks like an opportunity to pick up a Fender Custom Shop bass for a reasonable price.

4. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah, but you can find deals on used custom shop basses if you're patient. I have a CS '59 P with the closet classic finish that I got on ebay for around $1200 a couple of years ago. The CS versions of the 59 P and the 64 J are excellent.