Fender 5 string Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Roscoe Beck 5

15 vote(s)
  2. FMT 5

8 vote(s)
  3. American Precision Deluxe V

7 vote(s)
  4. American Jazz Deluxe V

3 vote(s)
  1. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    What do you prefer ?
    Thx for your advices!
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I own a Precision V, but think I should have bought a Roscoe Beck.
  3. sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    These are all great basses, but I prefer the Precision Deluxe V over the others... it just feels & sounds the best. I borrowed one of these (a four string version) for a recording session once & ran it through a Sansamp Bass Driver DI... the tone killed! Fat, rich, responsive, very even tones from low to high... it sounded much fatter on tape than the Tobias Killer B that I had at the time. And they're not that expensive either... it would make a fantastic backup OR main bass. Just my $.02:)
  4. PASS!

If you want a 5-string, there are many better. Better B string, higher output electronics, more attention to detail, better resale.....
  5. fender 5 strings deserve to be outlawed
    at lest they should make them better
  6. sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Of course there are far better basses out there... but they're pretty kewl for the money & the ones I've played have been constructed fairly well. Obviously I would rather have a Fodera or an Elrick or a _____ (fill in the blank with your favorite high-end bass), but I could live with one of these for a while if I had to. :)
  7. There is nothing wrong with Fender 5's, besides the B string isnt the tightest out there. I have played some that are better than others, and more expensive basses with B strings that were just as bad. I have the Mexican Deluxe V, Like it for what I payed for. Love that J tone.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Roscoe Beck V: the bass so nice I bought it twice.

It has 34" scale, alder body, passive electronics... and guess what, the B string is great. It ain't quite as tight as the B's on my boutique basses, but it's every bit as good as any comparitively priced bass. And ya know what: if you want the Fender sound it's best to get a Fender, unless you wanna spend twice as much for a Lull or three times as much for a Sadowsky.

I thought the Precision V was also cool, but it has an active tone and I was looking for passive. Haven't tried any of the Fender Jazz fivers, but the Roscoe Beck gives Jazz tone almost perfectly, plus a bunch of other nice tones as well.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Fender FMT V can hang.
  10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a Fender USA Jazz Deluxe 5-string, and my B-string is, IMO, better than average. I must have lucked out and found a good Fender 5'er.

I think part of the problem is that Fender's B-strings aren't that good. The .135 gauge tapered B-string that came on my bass when it was new was pretty bad.

More people would probably like Fender 5-strings if better strings were installed on them.

(FWIW, I use Pedulla and DR strings).

As for the poll... ...Go with the FMT.
    If you can afford it, you might as well go for the top of the heap.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a American Jazz Deluxe V, American Jazz Deluxe FMT V, and a Roscoe Beck V. All fine basses, but each has a distinctly different character. For versatility, the FMT rules, but if you like that J-Bass growl, no other bass, high-end or not, can compete with the RB5. It was born to create that sound. The Am J Deluxe V is a good, all-around jazz bass, enhanced by the active electronics. BTW, I like D'Addario Slowounds on mine, although I've got Rotos on the RB5 right now.
    All three basses are more than adequate in the fit-and-finish category. My bold assessments take into account that I have two Lakland 55-94's, a Pedulla ThunderBolt 5 fretless, and an EB MM SR5.

And ahhh, yes, the ol' floppy B-string. Given identical strings and identical scale lengths, the B string on a Squier 5-string will never be any floppier than that on a Fodera, Lakland, Sadowsky or Alembic. To produce the same frequency, the tension in the strings must be identical. The floppiness of B-string is more a function of the construction of the string. My .136 TI Jazz Flat is floppier than a mofo, because it has an interior winding of nylon. The 130 on my 55-94 fretless feels like a piece of #3 re-bar by comparison. It's the string, not the bass. Read your danged physics book.
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hands down: RB5

Munji, there is a wee bit more to it than the string, IME. I've done direct comparisons with the exact same strings on different basses (all with 34" scale lengths), and there is a difference in how the B on a Fender sounded vs. my Guitar Factory basses, and my Zon Sonus. The punch, depth, clarity, and definition of the B was severely lacking on the Mexi Jazz V Deluxe I owned versus all the other contenders. I always had to "baby" the B on the Fender, the others I could play with the same touch as the other 4 strings. That's why there ain't a Fender in my collection anymore.

I'd say that neck stiffness will have a huge effect on tone, it's a combination of all the elements that make the B work. If the neck is flexing at all with the vibration of the string, it will affect the tone and feel of it.

The only Fender I've found that had a decent B was the Roscoe Beck. I will own one of these one day. I haven't played and FMT V yet, but the one IV has impressed me.
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I didn't vote because I like the passive "American Jazz V" better than any of those options. Except maybe the Roscoe Beck... :)
  14. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    If passive tone is your thing then the RB5 is your bass. I think it might even be the best passive fiver at any price.