Fender 5 string MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nanook, Aug 26, 2000.

1. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Against my better judgment, I picked up a Fender MIM Jazz 5 string in a music shop today.

The biggest suprise was that, unplugged, I could not hear the Low B string, even with my ear within 2 inches of it. I could see it moving but no sound, no matter how hard I plucked the string. By the way my hearing is in the "better than mormal range". I have noticed this on most other 5 strings but it was most pronounced on this axe.

More commonly, the notes on the low B of all 5 strings are sometimes indistinguishable in pitch. I believe this is because much of the sound of the low B string is below what is audible or at least distinguishable in human hearing.

My guess is that had I plugged it in I would have heard something but not the full spectrum of sound for any given note.

Anyone have a better explination?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Hmmm...just as a test...I just tried the B string on my bass unplugged...and even with noise in the house...I could hear it quite well with every note VERY decernable.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've never played a bass with an inaudible B. I can only guess why you can't hear it.

While putting your chin on the upper horn of the bass, play it. Is it still inaudible?