1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 5 String P Bass Deluxe - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBEgo, Apr 23, 2010.

1. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    [​IMG]

Why is it that I don't see these around anymore?
    A couple of years ago, they were hanging on the GC walls. Now they're discontinued??

I'm talking about the 5 String P Bass Deluxe with the 2 J-style pups at the bridge. On paper, it strikes me as Fender's coolest combination of thump and growl ever made. I played one a few years ago when I was just starting to take the bass seriously, and I thought it was great. Of course, this was before I really knew what to look and listen for. What do you guys think?

Can anybody tell me about these basses, and if it's worth tracking one down?

2. They are discontinued. Too bad because people love these basses. I've seen several sell used for $1200.:eek:

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    A bass thats still on my 'WILL own some day" list.

Usually going between $1000 - $1200 or so. Not entirely rare around here. Usually see 1 or 2 every couple months.

4. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Oh good, so it wasn't just my inexperienced self going "My God, this thing is awesome!"

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Nope, it's one of my favorite Fenders as well. IIRC they were discontinued because the bridge pickup was discontinued or a contract expired involving the bridge pickup.

6. I had one - hated the way it sounded . . . fender will never sell a significant amount of "non-fender-ish" instruments. way it is.

fwiw it was a nicely built bass, I just didn't like the tone. it was my first, and last, active bass. just my taste . . .

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Which seems to be the consistent comment from 'traditionalist' Fender fans. However, people who prefer more modern or versatile sounding basses tend to love these sort of evolution of the typical Fender aged lineup.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had one, and it was killer.:bassist:

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Along with the Roscoe Beck V it's my favorite pre 08 Fender 5er. I must say that since 08 I've enjoyed most Am 5 string J and Ps.

10. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    So the new MIA P bass 5'ers with J pickups are great too?
    That might be my next purchase. :hyper:

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Just saw one used at Sam Ash the other day for around $1000. Thought about it for a bit and then went back to buy it. Gone. Ya snooze, ya lose! One of these days I've got to have one. Apparently the economy isn't THAT bad yet...