Fender 5 Strings - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thrasher717, Aug 27, 2003.

1. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I'm in the market for a 5 string and I've been leaning towards a Stingray, but lately I've had my eye on a Fender American Jazz V Deluxe. I've played 4 string Jazz but not 5 string. What's the general consenus about Fender 5 strings?
  2. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I meant consensus, of course.
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I got a MIM Jazz Deluxe V about 3 months ago. I had to have a little work done on it to get it in top playing condition (fret dressing/polish, neck adjustment and shim) but since that was done it's been a great bass. For years I primarily played a MIA Jazz Deluxe 4 and loved that bass so that's why when I decided to dive into the 5 string world I chose the Deluxe V.

I've been hearing a lot of nice things about the Roscoe Beck V. You might wanna check out one of those.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have one (a '97 standard passive USA Jazz V) and I think it's really nice. You might not.
  5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I have a Deluxe and a Standard American J(s). They're both great basses. Especially since I've had them converted into Fendowskys. They both have Sadowsky electronics/pre-amps. Roger had the pickups rewound as well. All I can say is that they were very nice before and bitchin' now. The tone on both went from nice/usable to bone crushing.
  6. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I've had mine (MIA Deluxe Jazz V) for a couple of years now, & I really like it. No mods at all.

Definitly check out the Roscoe Beck 5. If I had it to do all over again that's probably what I would get. But I still have no regrets.

Also, check out the G&L L2500. Nice!!! ;)
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have played a fender american 5 string and it is very ncei, not my first choice for a 5 string though, because i dislike fenders now (I dont like the large bodies and few number of frets)
  9. Ussually I find the Fender's B string to be a little weak compared to the Musicman. Great instruments overall, but most I tried out didn't impress me with their B string. Everything else maybe, but not the B.
  10. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    By weak, do you mean it's not as loud as the other strings? Couldn't you compensate for this by adjusting the string height or the pickup height?
  11. other than the size of the neck, they sound pretty damned good, just the B string doesn't sound like a B string that I like:meh: try it out..either you'll love it or hate it.
  12. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I got a new Fender American Dlx V a few months ago and it is my favorite bass now. Plays great and lots of tonal variation with the pre-amp. It has a slightly smaller body than a traditional JBass like the Zone Bass so its a little easier on the shoulder and easier access to the high end frets.

I would say definately put it on your list of basses to consider.
  13. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've got a maple/maple Am. Dlx 5 that I love just as much as my Lakland 5's. Nothing does a Jazz like a Jazz (even a 5 string active one....) I just wish Fender would make a fretless Am. Dlx 5. The custom shop told me they couldn't do it! :mad: :spit:
  14. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tried the Fender Reggie Hamiliton V and it was the sweetest bass I've played in years. The drawback is price, it is not cheap.
  15. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Isn't that a P with a J pickup? These are also custom shop only I believe thats why the price is high.
  16. From what I've read, the Roscoe Beck Signature model is a very good 5 string.. I´ve seen it called "the best low B in a Fender".. and I think is the only fender I'd like to own If I ever considered buying a fender.
  17. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    They are the reverse a JBass with a PBass in the neck position. Also active electronics with passive switch. The quartersaw neck is real nice which adds to the price.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have three Fender 5's: A '96 Roscoe Beck, A '94 American Jazz Deluxe V, and a 2002 American Jazz Deluxe V FMT. Each one is different, but each one is a great bass. The B string is fine on each of them ... good bottom, not floppy. They all have a 34-inch scale. The RB5 is very growly, the ultimate Jazz Bass, IMO. I slightly prefer the Jazz FMT for the versatility of its active electronics, but the RB5 has a wide range of tones, too. The Jazz Deluxe V has an alder body, hence, a slightly warmer tone than the other two.

In the final analysis, you'd do well with any of these basses, but you need to play a few to see what tastes good to your personal tongue.
  19. I have a Roscoe Beck 5. It has an adjustable bridge which allows me to use the wider 19 mm spacing which is now my bridge spacing standard. It has multiple tone settings and it has the Ken Lawrence pickups. It has a beautiful Pau Ferro finger board and a nice round simi-fat neck. It has the world famous HipShot tuners. It weighs about 9 pounds soak and wet. I love this bass more than any other Fender bass I have ever owned. This is my only passive bass. I was very lucky and very fortunate to be able to buy it for the price of $600.00 with a Fender molded case.
  20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

RB5 owner here, too. The B string is excellent (and so are EADG).