Fender 5 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the low one, Dec 4, 2004.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm thinking about getting a cheaper 5 dtring as a secand bass and was wondering about the Squier 5 string Precision or the Mexican Fender 5 string Jazz. They both have the Jazz bass pickups so how do they compare in sound? Is it worth spending the extra on the Fender Jazz?
  2. Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
    I'm getting ready to sell it on Ebay too. I want the money to add to what I've saved to build my own custom bass. It's a great bass (ruby red). Let me know if your interested.

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Maybe, but only if you live in the UK
  4. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I would avoid Fender 5s, I have yet to play one that had a good low B, and even the low E on some felt loose. The Precision Deluxes and the Rosco Becks are nice, but I would avoid the MIMs and squires. The MIM 4s are very nice though.
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Aren't there any cheap 5 strings available in England that are cheaper and better than Fender 5's? I've played a number and owned one and I don't find the Fender J5's to be anything special. If I were you I'd try to find some English or European manufacturers cheaper brands and go for that.
  6. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I have tried the Yamaha BB605 which was nice. What do you think of them?
  7. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Even for $100, I still don't think the squiers are worth it really. low-end 5 string Fenders are just plain frustrating and crappy. unless you get that rare 1 in 100 that ended up decent for some reason. 5's has never been Fender's strong point, and most budget 5 strings I've played have been significantly better, dollar for dollar. I'd second looking for a Yamaha or Spector somethign along that lines- still available for under $200- there should be a fair amount of options under 100 pounds, even in the UK, from what I've been told.
  8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've never played any Yammies but I'd still take it over a 5 string Fender anyday.
  9. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I really dislike 5 string Fenders (and most Fenders in general), since the low B string is usually unplayable. Check out an Ibanez BTB405, if you don't mind the wide neck and the weight. Sounds great, looks great, and best of all, an amazing low B for not very much money.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would recommend a Squier Precision Five also. Iguess they call it a Precision because of the body shape and the pickguard, but it has jazz style pickups. I think that if you want a budget J-style bass, one could do much, much worse and spend twice as much money. I always note that in the October, 2003 issue of Bass player that Debra Killings (Outkast) stated that the Squier Standard Precision Special was her favorite recording and gigging bass along with her Yamaha John Patitucci six and her Tobias five. I have owned a couple and I found them to be solid basses that got a fine j-bass sound. They had good neck, firm b-strings, decent fret work also. The main drawback was noisy pickups. Still for $200-250, they are a wonderful deal.
  11. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    It depends on the bass and the year, [of course you kind'a have to like fenders :eek:] I have a 92 J+ fiver that has a great B that I use for slap bass. I got it used for $499 and it is MIA.
  12. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Squier Precision5-
    I like the wide spacing and nut width, and acoustically it has a decent snap to the B string-
    but both I tried had a very weak B string output plugged in- apparently they put 4string j pickups in them-
    anyone changed the pickups on one?
  13. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    If the Fender 5 strings are not one of the companys strong point,then why are a lot of players playing them. ? :eyebrow:
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Bought one and replaced pickups with Barts, made bass ten times better.
    This is a bass with a nice neck, that plays well.
    Replace pickups and this bass is as good as any 5 for under a grand?
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The low B on the Korean Spector's is nice. I have one, and I think it's just fine. Sure, it isn't spectacular, but I also did not spend a fortune on the bass.

16. which model of Barts? was any routing needed?
  17. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I tried the Squier 5 string in a shop and it felt good. The neck and action were good and it sounded nice too. I dodn't compare it woth anything else so I'm not sure about the output. I alraedy have a 4 string precision so can I expect a similar output volume from the 5 string Squier?
  18. I have one and it's the only 5 string I've ever picked up which has loud and clear definite low B notes.

The pickups - while giving a definitive Fender sound - are not that powerful, though. Mexican....