1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender '50s Precision Bass color question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by colebluerose, Oct 3, 2008.

1. colebluerose

colebluerose

Sep 30, 2008
    I am thinking of getting the 50s precision bass before they disappear. The "official" fender pic shows the Fiesta Red looking pretty red, but I have seen other pictures where it looks pink or salmon. Anyone have one who can attest to the color? thanks

2. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I have one, its more pinkish in color. Here's mine:

100_0586.

100_0490.

100_0492.

3. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    There's a bridge cover in the first pic but not in the last 2 and I can't see any holes. Am I right or just can't see well enough?

BTW-these are awesome basses! (mine's black) Definitely grab one if you're considering it.

4. I agree 100%...mine is black, too.

5. ...OR the first photo was taken AFTER the cover was installed and the other two are BEFORE.

6. If the neck on these is the same as the 57 AV Precision, buy it! It's one of the best necks I've played.

7. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Well...I guess that could work.

D'oh!

8. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I played one of those and thought it was sort of orange honestly. Looks different in person than on MF website.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I've played a couple and have been very impressed. Fiesta looks so different depending on the lighting, but I dig it.

10. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I haven't seen these in person, but fiesta is all over the map. It is less of a true red than dakota red is. As it ages, it depends whether it is clear coated or not. The clear coated ones(rare) go orange, the non coateds go red. I would imagine the color won't change much on these over time since they aren't nitro.

11. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Bottom two pics are right when I first got the bass before I drilled the holes. The bridge cover was back ordered at the time, I just took the pics to get an Idea what it was gonna look like the top pic is the end result of which Im very happy with, I wouldn't take anything for this bass. It gets more playing time than my AV 62 reissue jazz, though the jazz is not far behind. I just find my self tweaking the knobs a little more with the jazz, the P always sounds good no matter what the situation.

12. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    To me they looked more orange than pink. Which is why I went with honey blonde!

13. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a Honey Blonde Classic '50's P as well. The Fiesta Red (actually a 1956 Ford Thunderbird automotive color) that the Ensenada factory uses on the Classic 50's P-Bass and Strat is not quite the correct shade. It is a bit lighter.

Here's a pic of a Custom Shop Jazzmaster in the correct shade of Fiesta Red. The Pino Palladino Precision ($$$) is also the right shade.

DSCN1020-1.

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Mine was pinkish salmon (but it played and sounded killer). I'd still have it if I hadn't come up with a fretless P.

Fender50sPrecision.

15. JBassJohn

JBassJohn

Jan 18, 2007
    Here's mine.
    Picture001.
    I know it's blasphemy but I did this.
    Picture004.

16. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Hmm. You're located in Nacogdoches according to your band's page. I've seen that bass in the shop here I think.... Same 50s Precision with modded pickups. Did you sell it there?

17. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I traded it toward a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight amp at Encore. I think they've sold it, now. Whoever bought it got a killer: Basslines QP, Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, and a tweed case. It sounded so good, the band sent me home for it once when I showed up at a gig with another one.

But now I'm in love with my fretless P (and the band broke up) and, in fact, I'm playing a lot more on my Les Paul and my newly acquired ES-335 than on bass.

Even though I'm downsizing my gear, I was very tempted to buy that fiesta red one back. =sigh= But life goes on....l

18. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Not blasphemy to me. :D

19. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I was just in there about 2 weeks ago and I believe I saw it. I picked it up and played it for awhile the first time I was in there. Great sounding bass, but the neck just isn't for me.

Since you're in Nac, if you happen to know any good spots for local blues jams or anything, my guitarist and I would love to get out and jam.

20. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Are they talking of discontinuing the 50s P thing?

I love my 50s P. After a few basses in and out of here, I think maple board and alder body are a nice compliment. I also find the beefier precision neck nice, but that comes from a guy not like Jazz necks there days. I like my 5 strings with 3/4" spacing and my 4 strings with some girth. I ended up putting a Nordstrand NP4 and a Gotoh 201 on mine, but it sounded very nice stock. I presently have 760FLs on it and it is punchy and thumpy. I have thought about getting another for rounds.