1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FENDER 50's PRECISION CLASSIC SERIES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olibass123, Sep 28, 2009.

1. olibass123

olibass123

May 11, 2009
    Hey,

So i'm in the process of buying one of Fenders 50's classic precision series, in 2 tone.

First of all, what are peoples thoughts on this particular bass??

Secondly, id like to do it up all vintage style, (thumb rest, and bridge cover etc)

my main point to this thread is - with the bridge cover are you able to get to the string if you need to change it? or do you have to unscrew the whole bride piece to be able to change.

if so, that would be a very unattractive prospect if im unlucky enough to snap a string on stage

Thanks!

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think you do have to remove the bridge cover to get the strings out from there, but I wouldn't really be that worried about snapping a string onstage...unless you play crazy hard with a pick - I'd just bring a backup bass if that was the case - it would take a distracting amount of time to change a string onstage in the first place w/ or w/out a cover.

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    You have to remove the bridge cover to get the string off BUT hipshot makes a bridge that you can use and not have to remove the cover while changing strings. Removing the cover is easy and quick its 2 screws takes like a minute tops.

4. olibass123

olibass123

May 11, 2009
    Awesome - That clears things up.

Anyone got any experience with these 50's reissues??

I know there is a whole thread about them, just wanted some fresh input, plus that thread has gone off the tracks a little..

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Every bass player should have an extra set of strings and a Phillips-head screwdriver at every gig anyways. I wouldn't sweat about taking off the 2 screws to change strings personally.

As far as the bass in question is concerned, I paly one side-by-side with a 2007 MIA P-bass w/ S1 switch and a Lakland Duck Dunn. I preferred the feel of the Duck Dunn, but the sound of the MIM 50s Classic was much better than the other two in every other aspect and it was a few hundred dollars cheaper. If I were buying that day, it would been the MIM 50s P that came home with me, no contest.

6. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    if you have the skill of a ninja you could do the string change with the cover on... :ninja:

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Solid , no hum , comfy P profile neck, pick ups are not bad, thick poly finish, should be durable and last a long time.

8. olibass123

olibass123

May 11, 2009

SWEET, CANT WAIT FOR IT - THANKS

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Not a problem i am a big P fan so the neck is way comfy to me , if your a jazz bass player it may seem big at first but in time you'll adjust

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Once I got my Classic '50s P a few years ago, all the others went back in their cases. I even had the experience of showing up at a gig with a Jazz, and being sent home by the band to get the P! I love mine, even though I don't love the fiesta red. I am selling it to a friend, who I know will be using it regularly in the studio.

Why am I selling? The polyurethane finish gets really slippery in humid East Texas in the summer. I rest my forearm on the lower bass bout cutaway, and my arm slides around too much.

So I'm replacing it with an AV '57 P, which has nitro. If I didn't have the cash for the new one, I would happily continue with the Classic '50s. I love the feel, love the neck, love the sound. I just don't love the finish.

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've had one for about 6 or 7 months. Mine's an '06 I picked up used. It's not my most comfortable bass (my '08 Am. Std. Jazz gets that honor), but it's a tone monster. Playing in a band context, it really comes to life as far as sitting well in the mix.

I did put a tug bar on mine, but no ashtray or pickup cover. The ashtray I could probably live with, but not a pickup cover.

If you have small hands, you might not like the neck profile. It's fine for me, although I do prefer the Jazz neck. I think the new prices have gotten pretty high; but if you can find one used, they're an outstanding value. Here's mine:

100_1252.

100_1253.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    It's one of my favorite P basses out there. The only thing I don't really care for is the neck dive, but it can be totally cured with new tuners.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have the exact same bass as Jeff K, and mine is wearing Chromes as well :D

Great player, nice profile on the neck... wide at the nut but fairly thin front-to-back... Took my time picking this one out, and it will finish paying for itself on the next gig I take it on!

Just a 'Cannot Go Wrong' bass...

-robert

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    That's interesting. I've never experienced neck dive. What do you suppose I'm doing wrong?:D

15. Here's my '06. Been my main player since I bought it.
    Pup cover is currently off.
    I also have a newer 2-tone that hasn't seen any action ..... yet.

7737-1.

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    My new bass, the replacement for my Classic '50s P, just came in.

TwoPrecisions.

Pardon the out-of-focus shot, but here is my fiesta red Classic '50s on the left and the new two-color sunburst American Vintage '57 P on the right.

There's no question that the AV '57 is a nicer instrument than the MIM. You can't beat the feel of nitro vs polyurethane, the tuners are still stiff on the orange one, even after 3 years (I know because I swapped the TI Jazz Flats on it for the rounds on the AV '57) but otherwise, it's surprising how similar they are. I bought the Classic '50s back when the price was still a little over $600, and I sure got my money's worth.

But it's time to move on, and I have a buyer waiting for Sheila. He will be as delighted with her as I have been.

17. olibass123

olibass123

May 11, 2009
    my 2 tone sunburst came today! i love it!!!
    shame about the awful 10th fret, fret buzz i get! ill try sort it out though

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    That's sweet, bass-flyer! I almost bought a black one about a year ago, but held off because I "didn't need" another bass. Then I happened to find my used Honey Blonde for a price I couldn't pass up, so I snagged it. I really like it a lot.

Aesthetically, the Honey Blonde and the Black are my two favorites of the Classic 50s. No offense to you Fiesta Red and Sunburst owners. I just happen to love how the gold anodized guard and maple board blend so well with the Blonde and Black ones.

19. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I didn't know these came in 2TSB...