Fender 50th Anniversary P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarknessFaded, Oct 3, 2000.

1. DarknessFaded

Sep 23, 2000
    I have a question for ya'll, I need your opinion on a Fender 50th Anniversary P Bass. As Ive said before, I live in a REALLY small town and I sometimes stumble across good finds. Well, I have a friend at a guitar shop who hooks me up (I just paid $175.00 for a NEW ash top/alder Washburn XB-400 with active electronics). Well he showed me a few basses they had sitting in the back that they couldnt move, two of them were 50th Anniversary P Basses. These basses were in exceptional condition, with the little clear sticky plastic still on the pick guards, no scratches, and beautiful flame maple tops and backs. Wonderfully clear tones. One is numbered 34- out of 500 (I cant remember exactly), and the other is 74 out of 100. Each comes with a case and hes asking $799.00. First question, is this a good deal? Next, how much is this already worth? And finally, considering its a good investment, how much would it be worth in say....10 years? Thanks for your answers in the past, and the mystery P bass I came across the pawn shop was a 74, but I decided to pass on it. Thanks-DF
  2. all the 5th anniversary was, is all the bassist made in 1996... I have a 50th Anniversary Jazz Bass that I payed ($500) for. It came with a hardshell case. Basically the 50th anniversary is one of the old style American Std. Basses. Its up to you if its worth paying $800 for it. Since thats about what the new style American Series are, and the older American Standards are about $650.
  3. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    The Anniversary basses are nice, but mostly cosmetic. I like the flamed veneer on the body, but I didn't care for the gold hardware. Other than that, it's pretty much an American Standard. (The engraved neckplate is kinda cool, though. :))

If you like the look and don't mind the price tag, I say go for it. I don't think I'd plan on it's value going up much, though.