1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 51 P bass Reissue: loose cup jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Fender 51 P bass Reissue: loose cup jack:
    what's the repair for this?
    is it replacement time, or can can it be pulled out, "spread out" and tapped back in or some such thing?

If I have to replace it, what's the remove/replace drill?

thx!

2. This is the one that's knurled on the outside where it presses in, yes? I would pull it, spread it a little, apply a little white glue to the hole and push it back in.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Not sure, sir, I haven't pulled it: this is why I ask;)

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Usually the jack comes loose because there is a retaining clip behind the jack that has collapsed over time. The clip can be replaced but it takes some specialized tools if you don't want to pull the entire cup socket out. If you're looking for an "upgrade" of sorts, the Electrosocket Jack Plate works brilliantly.

[​IMG]

Here's an article on the subject from Stewmac: STEWMAC.COM : Issue 4, Two ways to fix a Telecaster's wobbly input jack

5. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    I think he means this one ...

[​IMG]

A new clip is probably in order.

Remove the nut, push the jack inside, pull the cup. I use a hooked probe to pull the cup. Occasionally, the cup will stick to the finish. If needed, gently run a scalpel or X-acto tip under the lip to break the bead.

Tightening the Jack Nut causes the clip to spread and locks it in place.

6. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes, that's the stock cup socket and retainer clip I mentioned. The Electrosocket is an alternative solution that is more robust and works much better IMO.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Steveaux: thanks!

I have the electrosocket in other basses, and it's a possibility here as well.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Electrosocket is how I fixed my 51 reissue.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    At this point, I'm inclined to try disassembly, figger how that retainer plate does it's thing, and tweak it back into shape, as it's no new parts required.
    If that doesn't work, I may try a new retainer plate and see how I feel about that.

It seems like had had my local repair guy do something like that to my '72 Tele, and it's held together since.

If all that fails, the electrosocket looks easy enough to do.

10. Steveaux

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    The clip acts like an expandable cleat. In the picture, it looks like a flat-bottomed "U" ... but the bottom isn't flat. The clip goes between the jack flange and the cup. The blades open toward the nut. When you tighten the nut, the middle section of the clip flattens and the blades move outward, biting into the wood.

Bent needle-nose pliers are a big help holding the jack while you tighten the nut.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I fixed mine several times; never lasted. Got tired of it and got the Electrosocket.

12. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Check out the Stewmac article at the bottom of my first post. It explains how to fix it. They use specialized tools but at least you'll see what needs to happen.

13. Steveaux

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Agreed. My latest build has an Electrosocket.

14. how loose was it?

i had a loose cup jack on my sting precision bass and i just tried to tighten the washers for the jack and worked fine.

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I ordered an electrosocket yesterday, along with a replacement bridge with 4 saddles and string thru bridge option, single hole tug bar, and an SD SCPB3.

16. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Good move!