Fender 51 P-Bass RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Norre, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Who has any experience with the Fender (Classic Series) 51 P-Bass RI ? How does it sound compared to a "normal" P-Bass? Are the stock PU's good?

2. I have the 51 reissue. I also have the Sting P bass.

The '51 Precision Bass is a special edition Precision Bass with a Maple fingerboard and Ash body. It has the original small P Bass headstock shape, one vintage single-coil pickup...... and to me, it sounds brighter than a regular P bass pup.

You can read more reviews at the link below.

3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think the stock pickup is one of its best features. Although many replace it, the stock pickup is strong and distinctive. Quite different from the split P pickup. Here's some shots of mine:

The fit 'n finish on these Japanese-made instruments is superb, also. IMO, better than current American-made Fenders. The 51RI has a great neck and really has that early Fender vibe. The pickup is single-coil, however, and can be very noisy in a bar with a lot of neon.

Strung with TI Jazz Flats, this bass is a keeper for me! :cool:
  4. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    wow ... that's really a nice lookin' bass !!
    I think I'm having another G.A.S.-attack :D
    Thanks for the pics and reviews.

5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have both types of P-basses...a 51 RI as well as a "normal" one (both have ash bodies/maple boards).

The pickup on the 51 is very loud and sounds great. When strung with roundwounds, the 51's single coil pickup seems to have more growl and midrange, where the "normal" P has a boomier sound. But I now keep flats on mine, so it has that old skool thump.

I have gigged mine alot. Mine isn't noisy around lights (I do have the chrome ashtrays on mine...make a difference? Possibly), but the only times the pickup is noisy is if I stand within 1.5 feet of an amplifier and directly face the amp.