Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender '51 P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris643, Sep 27, 2003.

1. chris643

chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    USA
    Sorry if this has already been asked, search function won't let me search for "51", it's not enough characters.

What are your opinions on the '51 Fender P-bass?

I think it has a pretty good feel and a nice punchy tone... vintage looks are cool too.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. yeah that search function is messed up , you cant search for anything like "6 string bass " or stuff like that maby eit needs to be upgraded

yeah but a 51 p bass is an extremley rare find, isint that when the first electric bass was invented?

3. I own one of each, the Sting 51 P bass and the 51 MIJ P bass. I love them both equally. ;)

BTW here is a thread about '51 pre re-issue vs. Sting.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80872&highlight=sting

Enjoy.;) Treena

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Do you have Thomastik Jazz flats on your 51, and 54 Pbasses GBP1? Can't imagine anything else working good on those-you know, to get "the" Fender Pbass sound.

Just a thought.......:)

5. Well, to be honest I have Ti's on the Sting P Bass and Ti power bass series strings on the 51 RI.

I do some slapping and popping now and then so I like the Power bass series strings for that style of palying!

;) Treena

6. chris643

chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    USA
    floydbass, the original '51 P basses are obviously extremely reare, but i'm talking about the reissue...

how does it compare to the modern P bass, MIM or MIA in your opinions?

yes, i have heard that many ppl use flats on their '51s... do ppl do that for today's P-basses too?

thanks a lot

7. The sound is fatter, or thumpier IMO compared to the P bass of today. It's a very well made bass, some change the bridge for better intonation. Mine still has the stock bridge. The sound of this bass is pretty much old school (mine strung with T.I. flats) which can be very limited in the long run....... this is NOT the bass to get if you will have only one bass, the only exception is if you play only blues or 50's and 60's music. great for a second or third bass. IMHO

[​IMG] ;) Treena

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's a nice big, huge sound. Mine was very brite and long sustaining with roundwounds. I put some flats on it, now it's more 'authentic.'

[​IMG]