1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 51 p or Squier CV 51 p?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theworldismad, Apr 23, 2010.

1. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    Is it worth the extra 200 dollars to buy the fender used, or is the Squier a good enough bass? I played the Squier and loved it, but I have no experience with the fender. I did notice that the fender has a bridge that looks like a complete pain to set up, but that is easily fixable.

2. i would get the squier and i would buy it used, there are 2 of them for sale on here currently for like 250$, great bass for the price.

3. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Fender

4. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    Oh well thanks for the, uhm, discreet offer bjazzman haha. I am just asking about its quality because I will actually be able to buy it new for around that price at GuitarCenter due to a Trade in and a $50 dollar off sale. I just needed to know if I should buy it or save up for the Fender. I actually also want to save up for a Jack Casady used... but it seems really hard to find one used. I don't really ever check the listings here, though.

5. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    The CV's are great for the money. Resale on the Fender will be better/easier.

6. CV"s even better on resale. Value and easier. ")
    IT's great instrument. I got CV jazz and P. Both are great for around 3$$.

7. TheRatt

TheRatt

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So far, 4 to 1 for the Squier. I'd go with the CV if I was yinz.

8. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    The '51 Precision looks awesome...but I could never live with the 3/16" radius "slab" style forearm killing body contour.

I currently own a CV 50's P and it's a great bass for the money. But, the qualifier "for the money" means that I'm still gassin' for a different Fender... the "Sting" Precision. I can live with the "Stinglay," but I can't live without a forearm contour.

IMHO...a used Fender is worth the extra $$$. You get an MIJ neck with a nicer tint and fretwork, an original style '51 pickup, vintage style reverse tuners, an ash body, and a better paint job. If you don't like the vintage style 2-saddle bridge you can replace it with a real American Fender 3-hole mount, thru-body bridge for $37 from eBay.

I say hold out for a used '51 P or a Sting P.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If you can live with the inlay, the Sting is a better choice due to the contoured body. Nearly everything else is exactly the same except the awful schoolbus yellow.

10. Billy3000

Billy3000

Dec 18, 2008
    I actually liked the Squier more than both the Fender '51 and the Sting bass. It sounded a little hotter and more modern, so it fit me better, but it depends on what you're going for I suppose.

11. I have the Squier CV and have looked at the 51 RI. The 51 RI is quite a bit heavier and doesn't really sound any better than the Squier, for my taste, at least. The contours of the CV are like the '55, which you may prefer.

You need to try both and decide. I bought the CV before trying a 51 RI, but once I did, I wasn't sorry I had bought the Squier.

Roger

12. donut

donut

Jan 27, 2004
    UK
    Purely in terms of sound, this is a good reference point (starts at 2:30). Not much in it to my ears, although I'm sure I read somewhere his 51 has a Nordstrand in it as opposed to the original pickup.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Both the Squier and Fender are good instruments. Play them both and pick the one that sounds and feels better.

BTW, the "school bus yellow" color was not used earlier in the production of the '51 RI. If you can find one from the early '90s, it would look something like this:

bodyshape51.
    51Pbody.

14. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I'd say go for the fender. If you buy the Squier you'll still want the fender.

15. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Depend is this a main axe for you or is a backup bass.

I use to own a CV Squier but i sold it recently due to moving into 6 string bass. I play both Squier and Fender in the shop and i can tell you that the tone is almost 90% alike but of course the fender might have better build but this doesn't mean the squier is bad.

I say get the Squier and string it with Flatwound and you can enjoy the old school tone.

16. If you haven't seen this yet it is a great review...

17. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    I was just at GC for two hours waiting for my bass to get a set up. Pretty much tried all the basses there and I must say that the 50s CV Squier was probably my favorite. I have a Schecter so I was trying out basses with a smoother sound and the CV definitely has it!