1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender '51 Reissue Pickup Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tilehilder, Dec 1, 2006.

1. tilehilder

tilehilder Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Central Massachusetts
    Hello,

I have a fender '51 reissue p-bass, and am considering replacing the stock pickup. There are a couple of companies that make a "vintage style" 1951 pickup, anyone have experience replacing the stock pickup in this reissue? I played a real 1952 a while back, and I want to get a sound that is a little closer.

Dave

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I've never played a real vintage single coil. I replaced the stock pup in my 51 RI with a Basslines Quarter Pound and it's got more punch than the stock one.

3. jobo4

jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Seymor Duncan makes nice drop-in replacements in their Antiquity line.:)

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    i have only tried the Seymour duncan scpb QP they offer which i also have in my warmoth '51 tele and i have nothing bad to say abut it.

5. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I too am a bit dissapointed with the sound of a stock '51 (at least mine :)) I did see yesterday that Aero makes a replacement pup also. I'm just not a fan of Duncans, keep in mind there are alternatives.

I did replace the cap on my tone pot with a .1uf and that gave it a little darker, more vintage sound, IMO of course. Just another idea to try.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you want an accurate vintage sound, but bigger and better, I'd recommend calling Carey Nordstrand and have him make something to your spec.
    I have the SD SCPB-3 in mine, and L *loooove it* Big fat lows, crisp but not harsh highs, pretty high output. Sounds great with LaBella 760FL flats.
    The stock pup ain't bad if true 50's sound is what you want; pretty mellow thump...If you want more oomph, the SD scpb3 is just great...

7. two words....seymour duncan.
    can't go wrong.

8. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Two more words.....Jason Lollar. I just bought a replacement pickup from him for my '51.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

and two more words:

Lindy Frailin. :D

He rewound the dead (shorted) pup on my REAL 1955 P-bass. Sounds just like the old one, but with a wee bit more output (he used the original bobin, ends, and magnets). He knows ALL about the real thing, and he is a very nice guy you can reach on the telephone. You may catch him winding a pickup when you call. I did. :ninja:

10. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I've been meaning to contact him and ask if could just rewind this RI pup to make it sound better. Fralin makes my favorite pups.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1 I am also using Fralin Split coils on my Jazz Bass. No Hum = more tones!! :hyper:

12. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I put an SD SPCB-3 Quarter Pounder along with some Roundwound strings on mine and love the tone. Got a lot of compliments on the tone. I also shielded the cavities with Electrically conductive paint from Stewmac. Now very quiet and the tone is still the same.
    LOVE THIS BASS NOW!:hyper: :bassist:

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir, that's a formula for success right there;)

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I replaced the GHS Brite Flats on my 51 with the LaBella nylon tape wounds I had on it with the stock pickup. Practice tonight, gig tomorrow night. I'll report back.

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Not long after I got my 51 RI last Spring, I installed LaBella nylon tape wounds on it. I loved the feel, but it wasn't quite there; I ended up using my Tribute L2K a lot more on gigs.

But I persevered: I changed out the bridge on the P for an American Deluxe four-saddle model, replaced the stock pu with a Quarter Pound, and while I was at it, I restrung the beast with GHS Brite Flats.

I started taking it and the L2K to jobs, but there was still something lacking. This week, I put the LaBellas back on. Last night at practice, everyone remarked on the sound. Very deep and percussive, a great bottom for everyone else. Not much sustain, but a truckload of punch. This is the killer combination! We're doing a series of gigs starting tonight, and Doris-the-51-Reissue is going with me.

16. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    +1

17. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Care to elaborate a little

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  19. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Yes yes, but personal experiences from TB'ers says more to me than a website.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've tryed Jason's pickups.
    There very good.
    Nail the old fender tone.

Fralin are also great.