1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender '51/Sting/Dirnt neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Relic, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I've posted a similar question before, so my apologies for potentially beating a dead horse here but I'm looking for input/ideas from ye of more-vast knowledge than I...
    I've got a Dirnt bass that I love, with a neck that I essentially cannot stand. (truss maxed out + thick 2x4 feel)
    I called Tommy from USA Custom (very cool guy BTW) and he can whip up a killer neck for me but it's going to take a couple of months, plus for legal reasons, it wont have the exact headstock shape or logo... blah. I'm recording in a couple of weeks and want to use that bass in a big way.
    Other than getting the existing neck fixed, Im looking for options?
    Remember that this thing has the square non-standard neck pocket, so Warmoth doesnt make a drop in replacement.
    What can I do? Look for a "beater" Sting or 51 RI and swap necks? At least they would have the proper headstock and logo.
    Look for an original tele-bass neck? Good luck...
    Will a standard rounded-heel neck work anyway? I've heard that they will fit but will have some nasty gaps.. if that's true maybe a shim or two and an overlapping fretboard to cover up the ugly may be an option?
    Thanks guys and gals!

2. My vote for the long term would be to go w/ a graphite reinforced neck from USA Customs. Try to use wood species as similar to what your current neck has.

So that we're on the same page, the Headstock design and logo will not show up on a recording. and unless having that name up there is critical to you, i wouldnt worry about it. if you're worried about resale value, i'd just get rid of the bass now and find something else that you love. nobody else cares what name is on the top of your bass. Moreover, a custom neck will give you a great story to tell other musicians who want to talk gear.

now, i'm going to assume that a custom neck wont be ready in time to get you through the recording. i would either use what you've got (get that intonation set the best that you can) or beg borrow and steal for something similar that you can use.

really, the best piece of advice i can give is take it to a trusted repair shop and get their opinion. your neck may still be under warranty so that might be an option.

as far as neck pocket specs, i think a square heel will work in a rounded pocket, but not vice versa. i'm not positive on this.... i'm sure there is a way to get a round heel in a square pocket but it might require lots of labor to get things right.