1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender '51RI with Gotoh 201 Bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFN, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Hi, just picked up a used CIJ 51RI P-Bass and am having problems getting intonation set with the two saddle bridge. I have a Gotoh 201 bridge sitting around that I was planning to use on another bass but am thinking of having it installed on the 51.

Has anyone ever put one of these bridges on a 51RI. Did it work out OK. Were there any problems given that the bridge rides a little higher due to its thickness.

For what its worth, I'm not concerned with preserving the vintage look or anything, I just want a solid player when its all done. Thanks for your help.

John

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The 201 isn't a drop in replacement so it will be necessary to fill holes and drill new holes to install the bridge if you really want to use it. The neck may also have to be shimmed to get the action you want.

I went with the Fender American Deluxe and American Standard bridges on similar basses I've had. They're a drop in replacement and have through body stringing. The Deluxe bridge also has the option of top load stringing but there may be a slight issue during intonation adjustment if the original bridge was set too far back to accomodate the Deluxe version as it was on a couple of mine. The G string saddle height adjustment screw wound up a little in front of it's groove in the baseplate, not a biggie but it happened.

3. Wallbender

Wallbender

Jun 10, 2007
    The Gotoh is a great bridge, but it's not a direct replacement for a '51 RI. You'll need to drill new mounting holes, and the thicker base plate on the Gotoh will require a neck shim or major truss rod adjustment to compensate.

An alternative is to install a set of these:

http://www.allparts.com/store/bridge-parts-bass-saddles-bp-2126-008,Product.asp

I dropped a pair in my '51 reissue, and they helped a great deal with intonation.

4. Yeah, the Gotoh won't allow for through body stringing, part of the mojo of the 51.

5. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    I went with an Fender American Standard Bridge on mine. Works like a champ.

The GOTOH is a nice bridge. Replaced an old orignal BADA$$ on my 70's P with a GOTOH, works very well.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Adjusting the TR is not the way to compensate for a thicker baseplate.

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
  8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    My '51 RI has a Fender American Deluxe 4-saddle bridge. Drops right in and even the string-through holes line up.

9. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Whatever happened to the 206?

10. Thanks for the feedback Jasper and everyone else. I ordered the Gotoh string through bridge that will drop right in.

John