Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender 6 (SIX) string bass on ebay!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wonderboy, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Whoa, I've never heard of a Fender 6 string, can someone verify if that was an actual Fender model at one time?

It looks pretty good, too.

2. It looks ok, but bright red isnt my thing, I'd rathe rhave PURPLEH!!! :D

Would it maybe be a custom, instead of a production?

3. Yes. Heartfield basses were made by Fender, somewhere in Asia I believe, some years ago. They did the same thing with the DeArmond brand a few years later. These basses are usually refered to by their brand names, which is why you seldom hear people talk about six string Fenders.

4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I wonder if it has that FAT fender sound???? does anyone know????

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The shape and general design of this bass are nice. The colour and the gold hardware are just ugly, IMO.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Heartfield's DR series were Fender's answer to the Ibanez Soundgear series. Steve Bailey used to play one of those.

Since it has a Fender logo, it must be a pretty early model.

And Wonderboy, about that Victor Wooten gig you said you were opening, are you going to advertise it? Two weeks to go...

7. well, as long as they arent making them anymore, I'll be fine. Fender doesnt even make good 5 strings in my not so humble and not so opinioc opinion. Pardon me for the rude comment. :rolleyes: But it's true. I've never played a Fender 5 string that had a B string flop allove the place. Nevermind, B flat, how bout B flop?

Their four strings aren't bad on the other hand, but I wouldn't go back to one as my main bass. Someone once told me (when i thought a fender is all I needed), that once you start going to other brands, that there are some really nice basses out there. Schecter 5 string stilleto Elite? YES, I LOVE IT.

8. Very nice bass, shame its red :(

9. I agree, I wonder how it sounds though...

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Heartfields were designed by both Fender and Fender Japan, and built by Fugi Gen Gakki (in the early to mid '90s they also manufactured the majority of Ibanez instruments). It has a 34 inch scale with wide string spacing.
    The B-string is not floppy, in fact it has the tightest one I have ever played, and was one of the main reasons I bought mine. I believe that the graphite neck probably makes a difference in the feel of the B-string.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Although information on Heartfields is hard to find, I am fairly certain that the ones with the Fender logo are the later models.

12. Interesting. I want to play one for myself though. They probably arent that bad. I would never of pictured fender using graphite. But if it's nice, what the hell is wrong with Fender? They make a nice bass and take it out of production but keep the squier line in production. (NO OFFENSE!).

lol, I really don't picture any 6 string being a really nice bass if it's smalelr than a 35" scale. My teacher's Tobias is pretty nice (I believe its one that bass player reviewed in a 5 string shoot-out). A really nice sounding bass, but since I got the schecter I love that and wouldn't move to a bolt-on 34" scale (we both string with a high C).

13. the necks on the Heartfield DR were graphite-reinforced maple.
    the reinforcement was not in bar form as on current US Fenders, but in the form of a layer under the fingerboard- the "Tri-lam" system.