Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, May 1, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What about these things? Every once in a while, I see a body for one pop up on E-bay, but never hear mention of them. Did Fender Make these for a short period of time? Why were they dicontinued? Will the questions ever end?

So what's up with Fender 6's?

And wouldn't you love to see a Fender 7? That's be a hoot...

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    To add one: They were just baritone guitars, were they not?

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Here's a page with more info.
    (check out the Rick Danko pic :eek: )

4. I think some of them were 6 string basses tuned like a guitar one octave lower with guitar like string spaceing and a shorter scale than srandard bass (baritone type scale).

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Fender VI are crap.
    Those are Tremolo-Equiped, Narrow String spacing (guitar like), EADGBE Tunning, (dont remember the scale).
    Those are GUITARS, not basses.
    ITs a baritone Guitar, just that.

Try to slap on that thing...

I wonder why Fender has not designed a real 6 String Bass yet.
    Imagine a Jazz Bass with 6 Strings...
    Now.. see it:
    http://www.frudua.com/gfjs6it.html

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Fender four strings are not crap!!!

oh you mean Fender VI :D

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I agree that it might be a stretch calling the "bass VI" a bass.

It's worthy noting though that the fender IV is the instrument that defines the sound of "The Cure". Robert Smith used that all over their early stuff and on the most recent album.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

K - L - I - K

9. I owned one in the 60's, and I used it mainly as a bass, played with a pick, of course! I bought it because "Scarlet" and a couple of other tunes in the hit parade by Jet Harris were played on a Fender 6. I'm talking about the melody here. As I remember, it was OK as a bass, just had to turn up the bass knob on the amp a bit more. For younger members, amps in those days were all tube, and had three knobs...volume, treble and bass. We did'nt even know what EQ meant back then.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Fender VI can be used as a bass. Just ask Jack Bruce (used one in early days of Cream, like on "Fresh Cream"), UK jazz bassist Roy Babbington (used one while with Soft Machine) and whoever the guy was in Mahogany Rush.

More commonly it got used by guitarists doubling bass (check out John Lennon and George Harrison using one in the "Let It Be" movie or the "Hey Jude" video). This was probably Leo Fender's idea in the first place when it was introduced to compete with the Danelectro six strings.

I've played them, and pick players will be more comfortable than finger style players, but like anything you can adjust to it.

I think it highly unlikely Fender will do a modern six string bass, the six has not become anywhere near as comon as the five string and likely never will.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Fender's Heartfield line had "real" six string basses.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    :) Not quite true. My 68 Bassman has a "deep" switch also.

13. Notduaneus...

The Pro Councel is very pleased with your page of
    "Numerali Romani." I have been told to inform you that an extra bunch of grapes along with a lifetime pass to the Coliseum has been awarded to you.

Mikkus Aurelius (a.k.a. Mike J.)

14. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :D...Ya' know what I always say, abusus non tollit usum, n'est pas? :p .

15. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    They have done it...at least once. When deciding on Roscoe Beck's signature series, they made him a REAL 6-string bass prototype. I believe he even played it on his instructional video, but I could be mistaken.

16. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    okay, let's get our terms straight:

"baritone guitar" refers to a six-string guitar tuned to B (or A, but that's less common).

Fender's Bass VI is a short-scale six-string bass tuned EADGBE, with guitar-like string spacing. it is not a baritone guitar.

17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I believe the 6-string bodies Brendan has seen on eBay were prototypes for the Fender Heartfield line. I faintly recall seeing one of these on eBay a few months ago myself.

(Brendan, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :) )

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Fender "Roscoe Beck Signature" model was available as a 6-string from the Fender Custom Shop for a while - I've seen pictures of RB himself playing one.

It is mentioned on RB's site and is now made by the following :
    Roscoe Beck six-string bass
    (Available from Stevens Guitars on a custom-order basis only; $4200)

This six-string monster (with a low B and a high C) sports

two pickups
    a 24-fret rosewood or ebony fingerboard
    a curly maple body
    a one-piece maple neck with a graphite laminated truss rod
    Schaller tuning machines
    two pickup volume controls
    an overall master volume
    a master tone control
    Also, you have a choice between a three-position pickup selector switch or a balance/pan control. Options include korina/mahogany or quilted Honduras mahogany body woods, custom colors, deluxe pick-guards, custom fingerboard inlays, Shadow bridge pickups (with preamp), and active GDR electronics.
    For more information, contact

Stevens Guitars
    Box 1082
    Alpine, Texas 79830

http://www.roscoebeck.com/gear.htm

19. Gee Philbiker, you had a deep switch...I would've killed for a deep switch!!!

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the frudua mentioned by luis is an incredible instrument, believe me it is a boutique bass, even in the price, of the same quality of a sadowsky.