Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender '60s bass reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Jun 15, 2004.

1. pools

pools

Feb 28, 2004
    I diden't find anything with the research so i would like to know something about this bass, i know that is a mexican model but i don't know much more ....what about the sound?
    what about the difference with a standard MIM or MIA?
    thank you. :help:

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    It's actually surprisingly good. Great value IMHO. You can hear sound clips of mine at www.basstasters.com

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's an upscale model compared to the MIM Standards, it's downscale relative to any MIA model.

The neck is of smaller radius (fingerboard is not as flat) on the 60s Classic, it has vintage (thinner) frets and "vintage" pickups (which I must assume are voiced different than the Standard pickups...Fender makes a wide range of pickups which they call "vintage spec", if true wouldn't they all be the same?).

The intent is to get closer to a vintage sound (smoother, not as "in your face") but you need to use your ears to decide if that's actually the case.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    IMHO it is the case. Much smoother vintagey sound than the (to my ears) excessively bright MIA. However, don't expect the grit or warmth of a real 60's J though.

5. Generally, I've heard that the quality is up slightly from the standard MIM's, but usually not up to par with the MIA's. Good value, I'd bet.

6. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have one, and I really dig the sound of it. The neck is not top quality though. I sent back the first bass I bought due to banana neck bow. The truss was stuck and wouldn't straigthen the neck. on the second I got the neck is ok, but not as good as my other basses.