Fender 60's CS vs. '62 Originals

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these pickups and could comment on the sound quality?

I just tried out a Geddy Lee Jazz bass that had the '60's Original pickups. I'm not going to buy the bass (NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE INVENTORY IS, IF THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS CRAP...YOU DON'T GET MY MONEY).

So I have an idea as to how the original's sound. I now understand what people mean by "growl". Unfortunately, the BA2 bridge on the GL cut out the bass frequency.

Anyways, I want to know if the Custom Shop are more growly? More bass? More trebly?

And recommendations for other passive pickups are welcome too. Just keep them around $100 US ($150 CDN) or less range.
  2. (don't you use hate people who reply to their own threads to make it look like people are responding???)

I was over at Fender Forum and the best I could get was the '62's sound vintage and the CS '60's sound like a 70's jazz tone.

What???...what does a '70 jazz sound sound like?
  3. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I have a 2014 AS Precision, supposed to have the CS 60's stock and sold a MIM P last summer with the Original 62's. I think the CS 60's are a bit brighter. Also, and I don't know if it makes any real difference, but I think the Originals have slightly tapered pole pieces where the CS 60's are cut off even. To be honest, while I love the feel of the 2014, I'd like to tame the upper end harshness just a smidge. My favorite so far are the Fralins on my MIJ 62RI. It's the sweetest sounding P I've ever played. But the fact that it's sporting a set of TI Flats that are going on a decade might have something to do with it.
  4. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Dang this is an old thread!......
  5. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    This is an old thread, but I'll tell you what's growly. A vintage '58. That's growly.
    Willicious likes this.