1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 60's cusom shop jazz pickups in MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by King David, Jan 10, 2001.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am thinking about putting the Fender 60's custom shop jazz pickups in my MIM jazz.

1. Has anyone done this before and what mods did they have to do?
    2. Since the pickups should cancel noise when they are both turned up to the same level, do they RUDUCE (not eliminate) a degree of noise when turned to 10 and 8 respectively?

I can't turn my stock pickups past about 4 without them buzzing like crazy even with shielding. If I could ruduce this, have better sounding pickups, and be able to turn it past 4 it would be great!

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Great choice I put them in my 77 Jazz and they sound killer You shouldn't have to do any modifications to put them in although I have never seen the inside of a MIM.

3. I always tell everybody to put in Dimarzio DP123 pickups in their MIM Jazz, and it's because they are completely humbucking, even with only 1 turned up and one completely off there is no hum. I own 2 sets and dig them. Look into it, if you're into that sort of thing.

Chris

4. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Regardless of the pups you go after for your MIM, get a thorough shielding job done. There is absolutely no shielding in a stock MIM and it does make a world of difference!

Bob

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I shielded it myself. It helped some, but I still has troubles.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You'll probably have to do some routing or chiseling. The standard MIM pickups are the same size, while all the other Fender made models have a bridge pickup that is slightly longer. I'm assuming that the Fenders you are looking at are the same.

7. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Here is my assumption on the pickup length issue. I believe on my bass they used 2 bridge sized pickups. The bridge pickups are the wider of the two (the strings are wider at the bridge than at the nut, so it would make sende that the bridge pickup is wider than the neck). The cavity for the neck pickup is actually bigger than the pickup (under the pickguard). I think all I would have to do is re-drill the height screw holes and shave some plastic off of the pickguard to accomodate closer together screw flanges (or whatever you call them).
    Note the parenthesies represent the screw flanges. or whatever they are)

Neck
    | |
    | |
    (* *)
    | |
    | |
    (* *)
    | |
    | |

Bridge
    | |
    | |
    (* *)
    | |
    | |
    | |
    (* *)
    | |
    | |

Sorry, the ASCII art doesn't work very good here. Hopefully you can get the idea.

[Edited by King David on 01-22-2001 at 11:21 AM]

8. Mexi's have 2 of the same size pickups, but they aren't bridge or neck size. They are pretty close to bridge size, but if you put in a true bridge pickup in the bridge route, you have to lengthen the bridge route slightly. I did mine with a wood chisel. The neck route is fine since it's oversized to begin with. You'll have to file on the pickguard around the neck pickup. I threaded the screws into the existing holes on both pickups.

Here's the obligatory picture, DP123's on MIM Jazz.
    [​IMG]

Chris

[Edited by throbbinnut on 01-22-2001 at 03:39 PM]

9. The DP123's are good pups, and no noise, even with no sheilding. The CS Fenders may have a bit more of the Jazz growl, though, and will require a GOOD sheilding job. As Rick Turner once said "Too much sheilding is nearly enough!"

10. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    throbbinnut, I didn't know that the stock pickups were not quite the same size as a bridge pickup. That was good to know. How much did you have to chisel out on each side of the bridge rout? 1/16,1/8??

Yeah, I would like the no noise, but I think I would miss the growl...after all that is why I decided to get a jazz bas and not any other. I have heard it both ways that you can't get a good growl with stacked humbuckers. Some others say that you can. What do you all think?

11. The chiseling is about 1/16th inch on each end of the route. That's it. Not worth breaking out the router.

I get plenty of growl with the DP123's. They are not stacked humbuckers, they are split-coils laid end to end, like a P pickup laid end to end in a J package. So there is only one coil under each pair of strings. I dig it. I liked the sound so much, I bought the company, er I mean, I bought another set for my Squier Jazz. :D

Chris

12. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Your bridge doesn't look stock from here. Did you replace it with a Badbutt?

13. Bad to the Butt. I like the Badass2, but I'm gonna try the Gotoh 201 next on my Squier Jazz. It's a little cheaper, is also a direct drop-in with no drilling involved, and the Gotoh 201 already has the string grooves in the saddles.

Chris

14. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I thought the Badbutt II was supposed to be a direct drop in. I know it has 5 screw holes like my bridge now. Have you seen the Gotoh 201 up close? I am wanting a little heavier duty bridge that won't allow the saddles to wander too much left or right. I don't really want to change the sound all that much either.

I guess after rereading you last post you were saying that the 201 is a direct drop in as is the Badbutt II. Right?

15. Gotoh drawings are at http://www.warmoth.com, but I just went there and the site is crapped out. Wait a day and check there. It has tracks on the baseplate for the saddle screws to ride in (prevents the side-side motion, which is also why I changed mine).

Chris

16. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I did it I put on the 60's Fender pickups. I also put on a Badbutt II. It has made a significant improvement.

Pickups
    They have some serious highs. I have to turn them down now! It is a lot more punchy and the sound is much the same, but better and broader. It can kill 99.9% of the noise when you turn the pickups to the same volume. Tis is a definite improvement. I had to file the pickguard a little to get the neck one to fit. The bridge pickup rout needed to be chiseled out a little. I didn't take much out at all. In fact on one side I just used a file to take off some of the finish of the inside of the rout. That did it. Soldering the pickups was a piece of cake and I stink at soldering. I do have a pretty goo solder gun, but my technique stinks.

Bridge
    Adds a lot more sustain. I can feel the body of the guitat vibarate and I couldnt before. Intonating it was much easier. It went on super smooth. Piece of cake!

17. What happens if you turn the pups at different levels, say 10 and 6? How are they for bottom?

18. about the different volumes, i was wondering about hum, as someone said that they kill the humm if they are both at 10....

19. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    If you turn them to the same level they kill the hum. It they are both at 10, 5 or 1 they still kill the hum. If one is at 9 and the other 10 you get some hum, if 10 and 8 more, 10 and 7 more still. It usually doesn't get any more that when they are about 2-3 noched away from eachother.

They have tons more highs. They are punchier, but then again I am ablt to turn them above 3 and have the hum canceled so this may acount for some of it. I would say that they have some more bass to the tone, but not too much more than the originals.

20. I'm looking for a vintage-y tone...will these be too modern dounding through a solid-state? Do they have exposed polepieces?