Fender 60s Jazz Bass vs Fender Standard Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thetenthlisten, Oct 27, 2005.

1. thetenthlisten

Oct 20, 2005
    Which is better? What are the differences? The Fender 60s Jazz Bass 4-String Bass is $630 and the Fender Standard Jazz Bass is only $475. By the looks of things, the Standard has the same pickups as the 60s Jazz.

Fender 60s Jazz Bass

Standard Jazz Bass

I want to buy one of these eventually, but I don't know what's so much better in the 60s version.

2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I have read nothing but excellent reviews about the classic jazz bass. Although Mexican made, it has vintage pickups and a vintage bridge and according to many TB ers, rivals US and Japanese basses. From what I have read, it is well worth the extra money over the Standard Jazz.
  3. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Go for the 60's Jazz! I just got one 60's for myself last week finally (pics coming soon)! I just love everything of this bass, but I will mod it to a active bass soon. Frankly, Fender Jazz std. is just not as good as the 60's :)
  4. The 60s is an excellent bass, comfortable neck, great craftsmanship. It's miles ahead of the standard. I definitely think it's worth the extra money.
  5. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    +1 :D
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know about construction or pickups, but I can tell you I've tried both in a music store and the 60's Jazz Bass has a much more refined "look and feel" compared to the standard. Tough to put a finger on -no pun intended- but it just seems like a much more high end instrument in my hands.
  7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

If you prefer the more vintage approach, the 60's is for you. Fender quality as it is, try several of them if you can. I've found some of the 60's basses vary considerably in weight too. Haven't found a boat anchor yet, but some are certainly lighter than others.
  8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  9. thetenthlisten

Oct 20, 2005
    Thanks! Now I have to save up some money. I'll probably sell my old bass and amp to get some cash, and then buy the 60s and a better amp.
  10. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Both of them can be great basses. I currently own a nice standard jazz. While I really like it and think it is a good sounding bass the 60's classic is on my gas list, Why?

The 60's classic has vintage pups that are smoother with a little more clarity. The neck has a little fuller "C" shape to it that I find to be very stable, stiff. It also has a 7.25" radius as opposed to the standards 9.5". The standard has medium frets and the classic has vintage frets, I can go both ways here. Overall, it's the neck on the classic that really does it for me. It just plays so smooth, my hand fits it like a glove.
    I also prefer the old style threaded saddles on the bridge. All in all it just sounds and feels like much more bass than you are paying for. I would take a classic 60's over most MIA Jazzes right now.

I'll take mine in oly white please, with the tort guard. Thank you very much.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like my standard jazz. It is strung with Labella flats and sounds good. I have also had it strung with RS66's, GHS boomers, EB slinkies, Chromes, and Fender rounds and flats. I will probably, eventually, throw some vintage pups into it. I'am certain that there is a better amplified sound waiting to come out. It does have a great acoustic sound, but is a little muddy with the current pups. I've been very impressed with the classics sound as is. I've sampled them through the B-100R, BA-115 and an BA210. Great sound out of all the amps. I currently own a BA-115 for my own use, while a friend has a BA-210 that I use at his house.

Is it worth the extra bucks? I would say yes.
  11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I just bought one of these...got your Oly White glwanabe...sorry. It's vibe-a-licious, way vintage-y.

I had a Standard Jazz some years back that I modified into my own "Classic" with 60s Custom Shop pickups and pre-CBS-style reverse tuners. The new Classic 60s blows that bass away.

The stock pickups aren't the best, but I'm dropping in some Sadowsky humbuckers shortly and have already added a Hipshot D-tuner. I played the bass at rehearsal last night through an Aguilar DB924 outboard pre, and the bass just sounds ridiculous. Ridiculously good, that is.

My other basses are a Ken Smith BSR6EG and a Sadowsky RV5 btw, and still this bass is going to see it's fair share of usage.

IMHO unless you're a collector or having the real deal is important to you as a professional performer/studio bassist, you'd be crazy to pay 7-10k for true vintage when you can have something that looks, feels and (almost) sounds like the original for 700 clams.
  12. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I have both, a Standard Jazz and a new 60's classic. Now my standard is a great bass. Good feel and sound (I did replace the bridge with a Badass II).

But my Classic Jazz is an awesome bass, like butter in my hands. I am so impressed with every aspect of the bass, from the sound to the feel and the construction. I love this bass way better then most MIA basses I have tried. You get a real bang for the buck with this bass.

Now I just got a CIJ '62 RI Fretless Jazz from GuitarJapan.com ($716 including shipping from Japan). Hands down the BEST Fender I have ever played!! :hyper: Look for a review and pics soon, I just got back power after being in the dark for a week....thanks Wilma!!
  13. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Three questions:
    • Does the Olympic White come with a black or tortoise pickguard?
    • Does anyone know what the radius on my Jazz Bass would be? It's an original (not reissue) 1968 Fender. I like the shape.
    • What's the difference (in size, shape) between "vintage" and "medium" frets?

~ Keef
  14. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    ClassicJazz, could you please post a link to the exact model you purchased? I'm really interested in ordering a CIJ Jazz.

~ K
  15. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    This link will take you to their Fender section:

Nice thing about this site is prices are in US dollar and you can PayPal them instead doing the bank wire thing....

The model I got is JB62-77FL/3TS (Sunburst)

They only list White and Black for this model on the site, but they do have the Sunburst.

Shipping to Florida was $110......no custom or duty charges.