Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 60's Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Has anyone played this bass? Hows it sound?

It's listed price is $899, and i was wandering what the difference is between this and the American and Standard version? does it stand in the middle?

Is it worth getting or should one save up a get an American or even a Standard Jazz?

Thank you

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Are you talking about the Classic 60s bass, made in Mexico?

I've tried 4 or 5 of them, and I really liked them. I think they're one of the better basses Fender is doing at present. A friend of mine who works in a music store reckons that some are better than others, but so far, the ones I've tried have all been quite good. Nice neck, seems to capture that 60s feel, and the sound is good.

3. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah man, i guess its made in Mex, the the one on the Fender site under classics with the nice burst finish.

is the growl good?

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    "Growl" is one of those words I don't really use, but if you mean "does it sound like a good J bass", I'd say yes. A music store here has a number of different current model J basses, American, Japanese and Mexican, and my favourites are the Geddy Lee bass and the Classic 60s.

5. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i think i'm gonna buy one of these and change the pickups and the preamp to make it active and sound better. I'll put dimarzio ultra jazz (the ones sadowski uses to have his sound) and for the preamp... i'll see..

6. I've been playing one of these as my main bass for several months, now. My primary axe for over 20 years was a 1966 Fender Jazz. I finally got uncomfortable carrying that around, since the value of those instruments has reached ridiculous levels. So, that one has now been "retired," and replaced with a 60s Jazz Bass.

When I bought the '60s Jazz Bass, I brought my trusty old '66 in the store and did a side by side comparison. The bottom line is that Fender has done an excellent job of capturing the whole look and feel and sound of the mid-60's JB. There are small cosmetic differences and, to be fair, it's not built quite as well as the 1966 version, but it's certainly "close enough for Rock and Roll."

The 60s Jazz Bass is a Mexi JB with a few upgrades from the standard Mexi bass from what I can tell. Therefore, I do feel that, quality-wise, it fits somewhere between the Mexi Fenders, and the American series. Fender uses their "vintage series" pups on this bass, which do, indeed, sound amazingly close to the original. I believe that Fender really nailed it on these pickups. Played side-by-side, through the exact same amp, I couldn't tell any noticible difference in tone. And, of course, that is "the sound" that I've grown to love over the years. Now, keep in mind, that this means that they also have the same problem with noise rejection that the originals had. If you play through a single pup under florescent lights, it's going to be noisy. Use a gate or swap out the pups if this bothers you. Personally, I LOVE THAT SOUND, and have gotten used to routinely using a noise gate on my vintage Fender, anyway, so it's no big deal to me.

It seems like the neck is nicer. The profile is, once again, extremely close to the profile on my '66. The fretboard seems to be dressed much nicer than the typical Mexi Jazz. Of course, it's still not as nice as a $2000 boutique bass. To be honest, I have considered having a luthier smooth up the action even more. But, I haven't done it yet, and it's perfectly playable as is. Besides, it'll smooth up on it's own after I've played that one for 20 years.

Overall, this is a really cool bass, that I've enjoyed playing every bit as much as the beloved classic Fender that it has replaced in day-to-day use. I recommend them highly.

7. This is interesting this thread popped up...i was looking around the other day at Jazz basses id thought id like(im really fussy on Jazz's) And this is one i thought i might enjoy and was also thinking on picking one up.

Just one quick question. What is the neck profile like? Is it still small like Jazz's of today?
    (note: i never played a real 60's Jazz bass, so i dunno what their neck profile is like)

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I like the "60's" MIM Fender Jazz basses. They are a really great value. I don't think they are quite as nice quality as the '62 reissue Jazz, but they are close.

9. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Thanks for your review BLU Dragon !!! I could expect more than that!! That was a cool answer. :cool: I haven't tried one yet but for sure i'm gonna go to my shop next week and play it. This is great that fender did that version at such a nice price. The american series are now very expensive and i'm not sure they deserve it compared to a MIM one.

10. Glad to help, Shri. :D

Yeah. The American Fenders are definitely nicer than the Mexican ones. The American Vintage Reissue series are really sweet basses. The only problem is that they sell for about 2 or 3 TIMES what they are actually worth. That's just my opinion, of course. Obviously, plenty of people disagree with me, since they continue to buy them at those outrageous prices.

However, the 60s Jazz Bass seems to be a good compromise between the Mexi and American series. About as much "bang for the buck" as you're likely to get from Fender.

11. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Oh cool !!! I can't wait to try the 60s Jazz Bass !! :D I know about the american ones,...really too expensive... and of course it's even worse in France due to importation... :mad:
    Thanks BLU Dragon again ! :cool:

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Blu Dragon pretty much nailed this one on the head so I don't have much else to say about this bass. I got the Burgundy Mist Metalic which I don't think is available anymore. I put a set of chrome flats on it and it sounds great. I also own a Jaco fretless which is a 62 reissue, the 60's jazz sounds just as good. :cool:

14. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    umm...the jaco 62 reissue is an american model? Sounds interesting... :cool:

15. One thing I would like to mention is that I also had a "series/parallel switch" installed in this bass, and it has added a nice bit of tonal flexibility. I bought the bass straight off the showroom floor and sent it directly to the store's repair shop for the modifications. (Yes, that means that the Fender warranty became invalid, immediately.) They have done mods for other basses that I own, so I trusted them to do the work. This is a cool mod, but I don't have schematics for it anywhere. But, the deal with this mod is that, when I pull out on the tone pot, the two pickups are then wired in series, instead of parallel to each other (which is the standard JB wiring). This gives you an interesting extra sound that you won't find on a typical jazz bass. It's a pretty useful tone, which I find myself using quite a bit. It sounds sort of like a Music Man or, at least, it would sound like a MusicMan if it had about 6 more db of gain.

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The neck is a little "meatier" (is that a word?) than a Standard MiM Fender Jazz Bass, but it's no where near a P-Bass neck.

I have a Classic '60s Jazz Bass, and it's my favorite!