1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 60s Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Anyone own or played one of these? Thoughts? Thinking of pulling the trigger on this one 86FA670C-CDD4-43C7-951D-1E8E071FCE79.

crucislancer and Ghastly like this.
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have one in White. No complaints whatsoever

Ghastly likes this.
  3. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Hello. I've been looking at one of these online lately myself (none that I can find local). Does anyone know if the neck profile is different from the other MIM Jazz Basses? I would hope that it would have a period correct profile.

4. TCSS

TCSS

Apr 23, 2015
    Netherlands
    I have the 2007 classic series 60's jazz, best darned thing they ever made in Mexico. And I'm a sucker for the 7.25 radius.

5. I just bought one myself. Very well made. Plays great. A little bit of fret sprouting that I’m going to have that taken care of. Other than that, a fantastic bass. A bit on the heavy side. I think mine is around 9.5 pounds. But it sounds so good! AE048A2F-4803-4A18-8C49-FCDBB806477F.

Crusher47 and crucislancer like this.
  6. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I've played a few "older" ones from 2008-2009 with rosewood boards. Both were ridiculously light and sounded great. One of them had a gap in the neck pocket wide enough to slip a quarter in! I think that one was the exception though, as all the other Classic Series Fenders I've either played or owned (have owned several Classic 50's Precisions, and currently own a Classic 50's Lacquer P) have been second to none fit and finish-wise, are/were great players and excellent values. If I was in the market for a new bass, especially if I was buying new I'd get an other Classic Series Fender (especially the lacquer versions simply because they come with a hardshell case). These are high quality instruments and unless you're a snob about where it was built, you should be very happy owning one.

Only thing I don't like about the new ones are the light Pro Ferro board, so I'd go for a model with the maple board. unfortunately the only offer a maple board in the Classic Series on the Precisions though. Still, if the Pro Ferro doesn't bug you, you can't go wrong.

If you're looking at MIM Classic Series Fender Jazz basses, you may also want to check out the Classic Series 70's Jazz. That is a REALLY nice bass. Block inlays and beck binding, 70's pickup spacing, a very nice, kind of chunky, D-shaped neck profile that feels wonderful. I personally just prefer the look, feel and sound of the Classic 70's in this MIM Series.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  7. TCSS

TCSS

Apr 23, 2015
    Netherlands
    This is mine:

P1090008.

P1090006.