1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 60s P-Bass Alternative

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoBelow, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Aloha Talk Bass Folks,

Is any manufacturer currently making a playable, nice sounding alternative to the Fender 60s-70 style P Bass. Bass to be used for Recording and light gigging primarily? I was wondering if there is any consensus out there.

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
  3. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Aloha, so you want a P that is not a Fender or Squier, and what is your budget?

4. Three questions:

1) Why?

2) How much can you spend?

3) What do you need to do that you can't do with the Fenders? (Since almost any bass can be set up to sound as you wish.)

5. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    I play Fenders but my buddy owns i believe a mid 80,s Yamaha B200.The bass plays and sounds Fantastic.I see them on kijjiji for like $350 Canadian.Great bass for the money

6. Squire is fine. Used is fine. Just sold a 63 Fender P for a ridiculous sum. I know the difference and build quality (or lack therof) as far as origins of manufacturers go. I am out of the loop for contemporary products. Wanted to know for an instructor friend who is looking for an under 400.00 bass for his students who are not ready for Made in USA Fender Prices. Years ago There was a family owned store in New Jersey bringing basses from China. I used to up grade hardware etc and they were still extremely affordable. They were the go to cheap basses. I know one player who is still actively playing a P copy I upgraded 20 years ago. He paid 260.00
    new with the upgrades.

This is what I'm looking for, with prices adjusted for inflation.

Mahalo for any and all input.

7. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    You can still go to Rondomusic for that kind of bass

8. Mahalo Pocket4 at least you know the page I'm on.

9. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Squier Classic Vibe 60s P would fit the bill

10. That's what I was going to suggest. I have one and its fantastic! The build quality is great and it sounded great with the stock pickup, even though I did upgrade mine. I believe they currently make a 70's Pbass also. You will have to look for used for the Squier 60's as I believe it has been discontinued. Check out the Vintage Modified Squiers also. They cost a bit less than the CV's but are very nice well made instruments.

pudgychef likes this.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't know your budget, but Mike Lull makes some fantastic sounding and playing P basses.