Fender 60's reissue J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sputnik 5, Jan 13, 2004.

1. sputnik 5

sputnik 5

Jan 13, 2004
    Lemme say first of all that I'm well aware that there are several threads regarding this bass. I've read reviews about it and I've played it at my local Guitar Center (though it was really loud in there, so I didn't get a great listen to it). My question is, for getting a great, punchy pop/bite, would you guys go for a Musicman SUB, or the 60's reissue J Bass (both of which are about $700)? Also, if any of you have played the J bass or know someone who has, does it hum or hiss bad when the tone is up all the way? If it matters at all, if I buy one of them, it'll be going through a 200 watt Ampeg combo (2x10 w/ tweeter). Thanks.
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    $700....I was interested in one too but not for $700. :meh:
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're looking for "pop" and "bite", then the MM might be the way to go. Jazz basses will give you pretty good punch too, but a much as I love 'em, I get the vibe that you might be more in line with MM. As for noise/60 cycle hum, the tone control really isn't the culprit here...it's the singlecoils on the jazz and how they're used. If you just want to run both of the pickups wide open (volume up on both equally), then noise won't be a huge deal. However, if you want to use ONE pickup soloes or a combination of the two that aren't equal, then you loose the hum-canceling effects of reverse-wound polarity and may (probably) will get some noise. Shouldn't get that with a MM humbucker. Good luck with your research and have fun with whatever you decide on! :D ;)
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    I'm sitting here with my new '60s jazz and here's the deal. Like JPJ said, if you run both pickups wide open there is no problem. On mine the pickups are studio quiet even with the tone control off. By off I mean full treble. If you back off either pickup it hums pretty bad untill you back the treble almost all the way off. From what I know there is no way around this on a Fender Jazz with single coil pickups. The bass does have a great sound and is very comfortable. I don't know anything about the Music Man.