fender 60s reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jun 4, 2004.

1. the one made in mexico.

for the people that have herd it or tried how does it sound would it be good for stevie ray vuaghan jind of blues and rockor possibly a little funk? how does it feel. is the neck bigger or smaller than a regular standard fender mim bass, are the small frets an advantige or a disadvantige, what are the cons and pros on the fender 1960s reissue bass?
  2. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

Since you bring up SRV I was supprised to discover that his bass player, Tommy Shannon playes on Jazz Basses. Guess that goes to show that you don't HAVE to play a P bass to get a good blues tone.........Well I do, but I'm no Tommy Shannon either :p
  3. yea jazz basses are great for blues!!!
  4. Actually, Tommy Shannon used both Precision and Jazz Basses with SRV although his main bass was an old, beat-up white Jazz. In the "Live at the El Mocambo" video he uses a sunburst 60's vintage Precision that was a gift from Stevie. I have played SRV material as well as other blues material for the last 15+ years and have used Jazz Basses or Jazz influenced basses (a Reverend Rumblefish and a Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass) 90% of the time. Don't worry so much about the bass...most of the tone and feelings come from your heart and hands. Tommy would still sound like Tommy if he used a Rogue violin bass...
  5. very true!

i dont think that 60s p bass was given to tommy by stevie, i think the 51 p bass was given to tommy from stevie. stevie wrote soal to soal on the pickguard.
  6. A few years back there was a Bass Player (blues issue, Tommy & Roscoe on the cover) interview with Tommy and he said the sunburst ('62?) was a gift from SRV. I don't recall any mention of a '51 but then I don't recall what I had for lunch.
  7. well maybe it was a gift from stevie but i know for a fact that the 51 p bass was given to tommy as a gift from stevie.
  8. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I know there are some people out here who like them,but I owned one and worked at a store that sold one and never played or seen a good one.
    Matter of fact my bud is a fender repairman and he wanted to get me a new neck under warrenty and it was a 6 month wait on them because of the numerous basses being re-worked.
    For the asking price(675.00$)you can get a Highway 1 for less than that and have a way better axe.
    There are far better axes out there suited for that style music,I would go with the P-bass seeing how thats the bass T.Shannon played on all the albums. :bassist: