1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 60's RI basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *Munkeh*, May 10, 2006.

1. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi all,

Getting ready to buy a Fender 60's RI MIJ bass...

I preferbly want the bass *NOT* to have that ugly brown copper strip running from the bridge pickup to the bridge (Imo it ruins the look of the bass, when you look at the lovely colour of the bass and then you see this brown line!)

My question is, can i remove the copper strip once i receive the bass? Will this leave a mark where the copper strip is once from? Is it hard to take off?

I know the purpose of this copper strip is to shunt any unwanted static sound to the ground. If i remove this strip and my bass begins to make strange noise's, can i shield the cavity or the electronics or anywhere else inside the bass instead?

Also why do some Fender Jazz RI MIJ 60's basses have the copper strip and some don't?

For an example this one does:

[​IMG]

this one does not:

[​IMG]

Mind you, both basses above are exactly the same model, what's going on here?!?! I am starting to think the copper strip is purely for image/cosmetic reasons trying to get the 60's RI to look identical to the real 60's basses. While POSSIBLY some 60's RI MIJ Jazz basses do use the copper strip for it's primary purpose, like the Fender Jazz JB62-75US range...

[​IMG]

There are different colours for this Jazz 60's RI model and every one has the copper strip...

Also why doesn't ANY Precision P-basses use the copper strip? :confused:

Discuss :D

Thanks for the contributions all!

2. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I think the copper strip is for grounding. Electronically grounding it so you dont have alot of buzzing . I wouldnt remove it.

3. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Isn't there any other way to ground this buzzing? Not all passive basses have this grounding copper strip, how do they get rid of their buzzing? :meh:

4. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Where did you find the photo of the vintage white with tort pickguard Jazz?

5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The older jazz basses were grounded using that copper strip, which goes to the bridge. I am not sure what year they changed over to running the ground wire inside the body.

If you don't want that copper strip....look into getting a Classic 60's Jazz. They do not have the ground strip, and they are great basses. The one I had was every bit as good as my CIJ jazz fretless. Also note that the CIJ 60's RI basses do not have the correct reverse tuners (only the fretless model does). The Classic 60's jazz has the correct reverse tuners.

6. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Right here mate:

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/free_sea...der=1&submit1=%8C%9F%8D%F5%82%B7%82%E9&cate=2

It's the first one on the 1st page... few days ago they had the same bass without the copper strip, i checked the website today and now they do:confused: This is actually the bass i want to get but with NO copper strip grrr! *rant*

I am not looking to get the MIM classic 60's bass, heard too many negative things about fender's MIM "hit and miss" consistency of MIM basses, i will stick to CIJ basses instead.

I am not actually looking for a close vintage 60's RI bass, it doesn't bother me if the tuners don't turn the way a 60's bass should etc... I am just bothered about the copper strip that ruins the look of the bass and looking for alternative ways to ground the bass instead of using the ugly copper strip.

Thanks for the replies so far all! ;)

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey ClassicJazz: do they make the 60's fretless with an unmarked fingerboard?
    Man, I love that bass, the lines just aren't me...

8. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    One thing to bear in mind, and I have said this before. Grouping ALL the MIM instruments together about their quality is just plain wrong. Sure, on the low end there are some crappy MIM basses, but on the high end it is another ball game. It is like grouping ALL MIA together. The high end basses are nice instruments, but I have played some low end MIA's that were also crap. The Classic 60's I had was flawless out of the box, fit, finish and setup. It is most likely the best instrument to come from the Fender Mexico factory. I have played many MIA that did even come close to the Classic. It is just that good of a bass. Now I do agree with you that you are less likely to get a lemon CIJ. But I do feel strongly about the Classic series!

9. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    They use to make one. You see them every now and then on eBay. I don't think there are any new ones that are un-lined.

10. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I didn't mean to offend you there if you felt offended, i just took into account views from people and i am sure everyone has come to a conclusion there hit and misses in the MIM Fender range. Not knocking on your classic 60's bass, imo if that bass was CIJ, i would of bought that bass already and never even think of starting this thread. I just don't want to take the risk on a MIM bass... i am ordering over the internet aswell and i trust CIJ to be more consistent and less likely to get a lemon as you mentioned :)

11. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    No, not offend. Hey, I don't blame you for wanting a CIJ. They are just that good. I love my CIJ fretless. If I ever get another Fender, it will be from Japan.....no brainer there!

12. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
  13. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK

14. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    *bump* :)

15. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    No one has answers? :(

Looked a the 60's classic MIM fender jazz and the american vintage RI 60's jazz bass... both basses don't have the copper strip. The JB62-75US also a 60's RI bass but MIJ *DOES* have the copper strip to ground the bridge as referred to the picture on my first post... only for cosmetic? :\

What does the 60's classic MIM fender jazz and the american vintage RI 60's jazz bass use to take away the unwanted noise instead of grounding the bridge with the copper strip?

Thanks.

16. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    The ground wire runs inside the body from the pot rout to the bridge. The bridge sits on top of the bare wire end.

17. You could always remove the copper strip and drill from under the bridge into the bridge pup cavity and run a ground wire through there. You would need to be very careful, because of the heavy angle that you would have to drill, but it could be done.

You could possibly get a shop to do a custom sheilding job on it. All instruments will benefit from this..............One thing manufactures still do is a loop ground when they should do a star ground. This one change will make a drastic lowering of buzzing by itself!!!

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My guess is that originally Fender originally had problems drilling a hole from the bridge to the control route since the control route is much farther from the bridge on the J than the P. P basses always have a wire through the body.

Removing the strip will mean you can't touch the strings to kill the hum between songs.

Why do some have it and some don't? Probably depends on how close to the original Fender wants the reissue to be. Fender sometimes takes liberties with the reissues.

And all modern Js would have the ground running through the body.

19. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I know the stack knob USA RI has the strip ... I kinda like the look, gives it an old skool vibe ... the reason fender didn't worry about the strip "back in the day" was that they had that big chrome F cover to hide it ...

20. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I had a MIJ fretless jazz bass with that copper strip, I ripped it out and drilled a hole from the lower strap hook into the bridge pickup cavity, then drilled a hole from the bridge down to the other hole and fed a wire through and grounded it that way.
    There may be an easier way to go about it, but that's what came to mind in my situation.

I suppose you could for active EMG, they don't require a ground wire.