1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 610 ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xring, Jun 8, 2012.

1. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I know that Fender says it's a 4 ohm cab, but I wonder what the actual (ohmage) is? If it's a true 4 ohm, the speakers would not all have the same impedence, correct? I'm guessing (hoping) it's really 5.3 ohms or something like that, so that all speakers get the same power.
    Thanks.

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Just put the meter across mine and it measures 3.1 ohms. I think I read somewhere that there can also be some resistance added by the acoustical properties of the cabinet. To check my meter I measured my Bergantino NV 610 (also rated 4 ohms) and it measured 4.1 ohms.
    Either way does not bother me, as I am absolutely sure that all speakers will be receiving the same power. I think we discussed in another thread that Fender probably had special resistance speakers made to achieve 4 ohms in the 610, hence its comparatively higher price per speaker compared with others in the range.

3. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Interesting. To me (electrical novice), that means the Berg has different ohm speakers to receive a total of 4 ohms, and the Fender... I don't know. The 3.1 sounds off as they'd have to rate it at 2 ohms in order to keep the amps safe. I just want the same power to each speaker, which you say it's probably doing...
    I should try to not wrap my head around such things.:meh:
    If you neede a clue, I'd have no freakin idea what to even do with a "meter".:D

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    6x10 cabs with a 4 ohm rating typically have either 6 ohm speakers in series/parallel (ex: ampeg) or 24 ohm speakers in parallel (ex: bergantino).

If the cabinet is wired straight to the jack (ie no crossover) then you should get a DC resistance reading of around 70% of the actual cabinet impedance (around 3 ohm for a 4 ohm cab), any kind of crossover or added circuitry will confound this reading and give inaccurate results.

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I'm just gonna buy the darn thing and hope it sounds good! I will be pushing it with a Crown Drivercore 1500 (safe down to 2 ohms per) or 4 ohms bridged, or the GK MB500.
    Thanks for the replies.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Take it from me it does sound good, great cab. You can buy in confidence.

7. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Looking forward to it. I'm looking for a 1 cab solution. I'm now using an Aggie GS212 and S410. 1 cab for smaller gigs, 2 for larger. Hoping the 610 can handle both sizeswith as good a tone as the Aggies. Any thoughts?