1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 62 0riginal vs Fender Pure Vintage 63 vs SD SPB1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TC.65, Apr 7, 2018.

1. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Which of these three would you choose for a more original/vintage style PBass tone and why? I came across a Fender NOS 2012 American Special PBass. This bass plays and feels awesome, but sounds somewhat scooped to my ears so I'm gonna change out the pickup. This bass also has the Greasebucket Tone Circuit if that would make any difference in your decision. Thanks in advance for any info and opinions on this.

PawleeP likes this.
  2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    My opinion.

Ori 62. The tone more on high mid and treble with less low. Tone is quite balance from string to string. Great match with deep lo-end labella 760 flat.

SPB1. Scoop tone . Bassy sound on E and A / thin sound on D and G. I prefer it match with Sadowsky blk label flat and fender 9050, but the G still sound thin to me.

PV 63. Thick sounding and higher output than Ori 62 and SPB1. Less Hi even with wide open tone knob. Great sound with fender 7250 round and GHS PW.
    Sound too bassy with Labella , ok with 9050 and Sadowsky blk flat, sweet with Ti flat.

I also recommend John Benson Handwound pbass pickup.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Yahboy, I'm having problems with thin sounding D&G with my SPB-1 (with LaBella 760FLs) may try the Original '62.

4. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Thanks for your take on this Yahboy. It looks like the PV 63 is what I'm looking for. Where will I be able to find this pickup? No one seems to carry them. Do you have any experience with Lindy Fralin pickups? I've heard some good about them also.

5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    All 3 of these are excellent choices!

I currently have these in 3 different basses.

The '62 Original and the Duncan SPB-1 are tied for almost identical. The '63 is a little bit stronger in output and about 3% bigger in sound/tone.

I guess, I'd go '62 Original. Supposedly, Duncan does not fully charge his AlNiCo 5 magnets. Trying to imitate a 20 year old pickup or something........or so he says. ?

The only thing that I do not like about the '62 Original is the beveled edges on the magnets.

Have you thought of the Fender Custom Shop Custom'62 pickup? I think it's what is used in the American Standard P and Custom Shop P Basses. Those should be really nice too. Magnet edges are how they are supposed to be. Though it costs more than the '62 Original.

0992214000_merch_box_001_nr.

6. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    I hadn't really gave the Custom shop 62 a thought. Do they have a good vintage tone with plenty of output? Gonna see what I can find on youtube. Where would I find the PV 63 if I decide to go that route?

7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Anyone with a good price is out of stock right now. www.bassstringsonline.com had it for 40% off.

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    CS 62 is little scoop on MID , bright HI and a bit more bottom compare to ori 62.

Another option ~ Aguilar AG-4P60 !

sheltjo6 likes this.
  9. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Usually, eBay has the best prices on pickups. Also check reverb.com Over time, you'll see them up for sell here on TalkBass.

10. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    is this post a typo? you mentioned the 62's twice.. thanx p

11. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I’m obviously not Yahboy but...

...One is CS = Custom Shop 62, the other is “ori” = Original ‘62.

12. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Just got the PV63 installed today. Seems to have a much more clear tone than the original pickup. The treble is nice and clear but not harsh at all with the tone all the way open. Love the tone I'm getting from this bass now.

Yahboy, sheltjo6 and Blu bro like this.
  13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Nice! :thumbsup: The PV63 is one of my favorite pickups.

TC.65 and sheltjo6 like this.
  14. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    Pure Vintage '63 because it has a great mid-frequency response imo.

I have not tried the SPB-1 or Original '62, so I cannot provide a comparison.
    I've tested a Custom Shop '62 precision pickup and did not like it's tone: too mid scooped for my tastes.

15. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    I agree:
    The CS 62 is a little too mid-scooped in tone.
    The Aguilar AG-4P60 is a great pickup also. Balanced vintage tone with some refinement.

I would also recommend the EMG Geezer Precision pickup.

My top three passive precision pickups are the Fender Pure Vintage '63, the EMG Geezer Precision, and the Aguilar AG-4P60.
    These pickups do not produce a hollow tone or mid scooped tone that some precision pickups tend to produce.

16. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Yes I hear a lot more going on with the mids now. I may be swapping out the GreaseBucket Tone Circuit next, but I'm gonna give it more play time before I make that decision.

17. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    If I had an American Special P or a Highway One, that is the first change I would make, for sure - getting rid of the grease bucket.

18. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    What would be your reason for changing the greasebucket first? What does it do or not do that you don't like?