1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 62 CIJ Jazz Bass high-end overhaul

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Alex_rus, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Alex_rus

Alex_rus

Sep 12, 2013
    Dear TB fellas, I invite you to take a look at the gorgeous, IMHO, Jazz bass that was recently finished! :bassist:

Click here!

I never HAD a Jazz Bass, but wanted one. I always had a problem with new Jazzes - they are just not worth the asking price. Everything is cheap, QC cuts everywhere. This fella flew from Japan, was played quite a lot. An unfortunate pickup upgrade seems to have made the owner to sell it for USD 800. But the wood felt right.

It resonated well, and the response was punchy unplugged. I quickly forgave one of the 3 pcs black alder sections not matching - that can be clearly seen in the pictures. Out of 6 Jazz basses this one felt just right.

But buying an instrument - new or used means you have to have it professionally set up! You don't sell an instrument that is poorly set up. I own quite a lot of basses, but, decided to go on a project even more ambitious than this - a MASSIVE OLP MM32 overhaul) Soon to be featured here)

Meanwhile - enjoy and post your comments)

Cheers!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    looks good! i assume you used the neck jig to level the board and the new frets?

good call on the truss rod cutout, that makes life so much easier.

also, how did you get that butterfly to cooperate for the photoshoot?

3. Alex_rus

Alex_rus

Sep 12, 2013
    Thanks!)

Yes, the jig was used to gently press in the frets. It was tough, as the neck was quite dry at first, and had to sit in oil for about 5 days)

The butterfly... Just liked the bass for some reason, and kept on crawling around)

Cheers! :)