Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender 62 jazz--hum issue/getting shocked?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonb9, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jonb9

jonb9

Sep 13, 2004
    Just got an amazing 62 jazz bazz refinished in late 60's. Of course I know it's gonna have a hum, and i know it's grounded to the bridge, but I was singing at rehersal, and I got shocked all night long!!! And the buzz/hum between the PA, and my amp was way too much. Is there any way to resolve the shock issue, and eliminate any unnecessary hum? Thank you for any advice..

2. In my only experience with getting shocks off a microphone, the situation was rectified by plugging into a different wall socket / outlet.

3. I don't think the hum necessarily has anything to do with it. I think it's just a grounding issue in your bass, and/or an issue with the wall socket. Chances are they're working at different levels of whatever (maybe voltage, I'm not sure exactly). But I don't think the hum has that much to do with it since it's generally a pickup thing and not so much a grounding issue. Grounding won't necessarily eliminate hum and so it's not really indicative.

4. it has nothing to do with the bass, either some other equipment is really messed up (unlikely) or the outlets aren't wired right (most likely)