Fender '62 "Original Jazz" pickups in a MIM Fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shirojiro, Mar 29, 2002.

1. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    So I just installed the Fender '62 original Jazz pickups in my new MIM Jazz bass.

First of all, it was easy as pie. The bridge rout needed no expanding. The pickup dropped right in. The pickguard needed minimal shaving on the inside edges of the half-moons to fit over the neck pickup.

Strangely enough, the pole pieces on the bridge pickup are beveled and the neck pickup ones are not.

My new pickups came with shielding plates. I soldered the neck plate lead to the back of the neck volume pot. I connected the bridge plate with the bridge so now there's a grounding strip tp the bridge on the outside, as well as in the "hidden" rout. The lead from the bridge shielding plate was very short. It's not hooked up to anything right now, but I'm hoping that the bridge ground is still intact.

These pickups are a HUGE step up.

I can't believe how much nicer the bass sounds now. The MIM pickups had a decent amount of output, but it was muddy and indistinct with harsh highs.

These pickups are clear as a bell, and the highs are super crisp without sacrificing a nice tight bottom. The articulation of fingers on strings comes through much better now.

Before, playing the bass with the tone wide open sounded harsh and grating. Now it sounds crisp and clean.

With the tone rolled off, the '62 originals have a pleasant midrange bite that sounds like it'll cut through nicely.

I know that some people dig the MIM pickups, and I think they're ok as well. They're just not as good as these aftermarket ones.