Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender '62 P pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HongKongPhooey, Nov 3, 2002.

1. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey

Nov 2, 2002
    I want to get replace the P pickups on my Squire so I can get back into playing it some more. Unfortunately with pickups there isn't really a way that you can try them before you buy them :( . So, for those who have used the '62s, how much of a difference will they make in my sound? Will it be a better difference? =P

2. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey

Nov 2, 2002
    Also are the Basslines SPB-3s any good? I'm basically looking to get a funkier, tighter tone out of my bass.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I just ordered a set of Fender '62s for my 1992 Precision Plus...will let you know how they turn out. Re. SPB-3, they are high output, so they would tend to have more midrange and less thump - I think.

4. I really dig my '62 P. I have it on my Warmoth, so I didn't replace any stock pickup, so I can't comment on how different it will be. However, I can aussure you I am pleased with the pickup.

5. I think so too. My adventures with my MIM p-bass show the same results. The stock pickup is lower output, but had a lot more percussive thump. I went to the Duncan SPB-2 which was a LOT louder, but much less thump. It was too middy for my taste, so I opted for a DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle. This is also less percussive, but I like the tone a lot better. It is also high output.

6. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey

Nov 2, 2002
    Thanks eveyrone =P Looks like I'll be placing my order for the '62s.