Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 62 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    does anyone have a set of these? They're gonna be thrown into a P/J setup, can anyone describe the sound or provide soundclips? thanks! I'm looking for agressive and deep, I have no idea what these pups sound like

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey there, for the kind of sound you want, you may want to consider the NP4 from Carey Nordstrand. I have this in my Mexican Fender P Bass deluxe, and without a doubt IMHO it sounds way better than the "vintage style" pickup that came with the bass.
    I have a Nordstrand NJ4SE in the bridge position. I use TI Jazz Flats. I can get practically any tone out of this bass.

Hope that helps :hyper:

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Your MIM bass came with "vintage style" pups? what is a "vintage style" pup? does it look like a "vintage style" pup? Are "vintage style" pups coming on MIM basses these day's? What style vintage are these vintage style pups? :confused:

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The P bass deluxe basses from that time(mine is a 1999) were first listed as having US vintage pups, then "vintage style" pups.

What does that mean? No clue. Fender's website isn't clear on that, and nobody I know seems to know what it is either.

So, I replaced them with a Nordstrand P/J set. No more confusion :bassist: The guy who put them in had to rout the gold anodized pickguard a tad to get the NP4 Nordstrand to fit, so I'm guessing the "vintage style" is a bit smaller than the original '62 pickups were.

Now that model bass comes with an active EQ, and vintage noiseless pickups-apparently the same ones used in the higher end active Fender basses.

5. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Fender Vintage '62's are definitely that: the tone you hear in the sixties and seventies on boatloads of albums. They have a classic early-funk and disco slap n' pop tone to them, smooth and creamy; they can sound moderately hot if you play with a pick and push them; they'll be fat n' dubby if you roll the tone off. If you spike your mids you can get some growl outa them. If you want a more "modern" hot outa them they aren't it. If you find yourself weirdly appreciating the bass in '70's rock and pop songs, them by all means snap a set up!

6. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    that's possibly the best description of a pickup I've ever heard, unfortunetally I don't listen to enough older music to really know what to listen for. I play in hard hard rock music (harder than rock, but I don't want to be cliche and call it punk or hardcore or whateer) , odd timing and duel les pauls, loud drummer, I don't know, is vintage what I'm looking for? I'm used to seymour duncan quarter pounders which is perfect for that music but I don't want another bass that sounds like my old one

7. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Hmmm. . ..Gord, you could probably be ok with any number of pickups, including a set of Fender Vintage '62's. . . however, if the Quarter Pounders were perfect for that music, perhaps you would want to consider staying in the hotrodded pickups category. In that arena I like the Dimarzio Willpower Middle pickups. Not sure if they'd get it for you though. I think you could get enough midrange cut outa them to work, but maybe they're a little tooo fat. Rio Grande makes some pickups called Muy Grande that I've heard good things about, a hot pickup like the Quarter Pounder. Perhaps some folks around here have some experience with them.