1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender '62 Reissue w/500k pots upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SRCRS, Aug 21, 2012.

1. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    I'm looking to upgrade my '95 or possibly '98 Squier P Bass with Fender's '62 reissue pickup and I plan on replacing the pots too with some 500k pots. I suppose the sound or tone i like is a bit of a punk rock tone something along the lines of Matt Freeman from Rancid, specifically I really like the tone he had on their album ...And Out Come the Wolves. A specific track would be Journey to the End of East Bay. Love the into to that song. Anyway I was looking for any thoughts or opinions about this upgrade, also I have been considering Lindy Fralin pickups or Nordstrand's P4. Any advice or experiences with the pickups I mentioned would be great. Thanks!

PS I am pretty much a novice when it comes to electronics and such

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    all would be good choices, and do just what you're after.

i'm a fralin guy, and the 500k pots in my P bass make it loud and aggressive, but with the option to smooth it right back up again with a twist of the tone knob.

you'll want a linear taper volume and an audio tone to get an even sweep from both controls.

3. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Do it! I did. The 500K tone electrically almost takes the tone control out of the circuit, but the option is always there to dial a little treble out. I leave mine on 10 all the time.
    Oh yeah, I went with the Original '62 myself. I can't try every freekin' pickup there is! It's a good choice. There isn't a tone I can't get with my bass, treble, and EQ on my amp.

4. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Hey thanks bumperbass and walterw. Walterw is that a Breaking Bad reference? I love that show.

Walterw are the linear taper volume and the audio tone specific pots I should look for? Or can I just get a volume pot and a tone pot?

And Thanks for the knowledge guys!

5. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Well, I was just trying to research my question on pots. Apparently this is going to start a war on linear taper vs. audio taper? BTW walterw i didnt see your signature stating your last name when i posted my previous post.

6. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Also, Bumperbass is the output even across all the strings with the '62 pickup? How are the lows the mids and the highs? does anything get too muddy or is it pretty tight? I want people to really feel the lows in their chest ya know? and i dont want the highs to be to tingy. So i guess how would you describe the sound your gettin?

Thanks!

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you want a linear taper ("500kB") pot for the volume and an audio taper ("500kA") for the tone.

as for that pickup, it'll sound like a classic P-bass pickup. chest-thumping lows or "tingy" highs all depend on how you amplify it.

8. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks for the info Walter!

9. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I just adjusted mine pretty much stock, which means I have it slightly tilted up towards the A and D strings to mimic the fingerboard arch. My volume seems to be as even as can be, which is to say I don't notice any variation in volume. I use D'Addario XL165 rounds. I DO use an MXR M87 compressor, but I don't have it set very aggressively. This is only a recent (3 month) add-on but even before that, I was satisfied with the volume across the sstrings.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Just to add to your tonal goals...

Grab some Rotosound SS strings and play with a pick. Strings make a huge difference in tone, as will the pick.

Matt recorded that album with an Ampeg SVT II-Pro so other than running one yourself, something that emulates an Ampeg would be a good choice as well.

11. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks for the string recomendation bassgod0dmw. Bumperbass thanks for letting me know your experiences with the pickup.

Anyone have a recomendation for a good pot manufacturer? I guess cts is the way to go? Are there any others worth mentioning? is there a big difference between pots made by different companys other than quality/durability?

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    CTS, Bourns, and Alpha all make good pots.

13. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    thanks bassgod, im on allparts.com and cant seem to find a linear taper volume pot. in thier descriptions some are "audio taper" and some are simply "audio pots" none have a 500kB or 500kA designation

14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    huh?

i get my 500k linear pots from allparts. enter "500k" and "linear" into the little search box.

15. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks Walter!

16. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    So question I was checking out an MTD Kingston CRB 5 string and on the specs they used an audio taper for the volume and a linear taper for the tone. So now I'm wondering why??Because if MTD does it, why shouldn't I?

17. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    lots of folks get it wrong ;)

18. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Hahaha thanks Walter