Fender '62 Reissues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Nov 6, 2003.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Is it just me, or do these basses sound a lot better than the American Series? I was at Elderly Instruments today (for the 3rd time this week :eek: ) and I was messing around with a bunch of basses, but I couldn't get them to sound good. Then I picked up a '62 Jazz reissue and I was blown away... I don't remember ever playing a new Jazz that sounded like that. I also tried the '62 P, completely different from the other P's I've played. Has anyone else had this experience?

(I know that you can buy the vintage reissue pickups... if I popped them in a different bass, like a MIM/J Fender or SX, how close do you think it would sound the the authentic reissues I played?)
  2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    The reissue pickups are killer and they made a standard MIJ P bass I had sound awesome.
  3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I still have a black RI J that I got at Elderly several years ago. They just seem to be made a little bit better in every way. Right now they seem to be a great deal because for some reason the going price has cratered. If you look you'll see a couple going begging on the Bay for ca. $700. Yikes. Of course, its always best to play before pay.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I absolutely LOVES my early '90s '62. My pressssusssss. We LOVES our presssussss. :D The pickups are a little to "modern" sounding, but all you have to do is roll off the tone a bit and you're good to go. Quality all the way around, and mine was a great value. Not so sure I'd pay for one today though, as there are so many other options that deliver a better value.
  5. I recently purchased the 62RI precision. Although the output is lower than the MIA's, they sound fantastic. I didn't think I would like the the feel of the thin, wide neck w/ 7.25" radius, fell in love with the way it plays and sounds.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    The 62 reissues are better.
    Its a shame fender can put this quality in all there basses.
    If you like the 62 reissue, try a Lakland Skyline
    Joe Osborn, or a Bob Gluab bass. They blow the fender away, and for less money.
  7. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Unscheduled Jazz Shootout

I have a 62 RI Jazz, the Oly white with tort color scheme.

Friend of mine has a Custom Shop 64 NOS Jazz.

We also had a 97 MIA Jazz, garden variety type, nothing special, and a 2000 model MIA Jazz with CS pickups.

Played through the same rig at the same volume by the same person, the basses sounded nearly identical and there were certainly no differences large enough to be be noticed in a live mix.

The Custom Shop J was the winner, but of course that would be expected, given the price difference, but all the Jazzes sounded great.
  8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i hear nothing but great things about all the Fender RI's.

a friend just bought a '52 RI Tele that he says is the best he's owned.

9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I'm still loving my '62RI Jazz bass. Definitely prefer the tone/playability to that of an AS Fender.