Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 62 replacement neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bmc, Jul 9, 2004.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Anyone have any observations on these? Anyone buy one and use it?

I'm going to buy a replacement neck to go on a 75 Precision body. I'm seriously toying with spending the bigger $$ for a genuine neck.

Any opinions are appreciated.

bmc

2. A month or so ago I was in the same spot you're in. There was nothing wrong with the neck on my P-Bass clone, but I wanted a neck with the "old" P-Bass 1.75" nut width. After following eBay for a while I came upon a neck and e-mailed the seller for the dimensions, which were P-Bass dimensions (i.e. 1.75" at the nut and 2.5" at the heel). I ended up getting it for $54. When I got it, it was in good shape but the finish wasn't the best, the fretboard was covered with overspray and I had to plug the existing holes and redrill them and (apparently) the previous owner had removed the inlays and filled the holes with some kind of light-colored wood filler. I decided the finish was good enough, I cleaned the overspray from the fretboard with nail polish remover and lemon oiled it, plugged the holes and redrilled the new holes and bolted 'er up. All this only took about an hour (not counting drying time for the glue) or so and it plays and sounds great. I have some paua dots coming from Fretware so the fretboard will look good. A local tech (Fender Gold certification) told me the neck was a Japanese Fender neck. My point is that if you are willing to do a little easy work, you can often find some inexpensive gems on eBay. You can find the genuine Fender '62 replacement necks on eBay all the time much cheaper than ordering directly from Fender, by the way. Good luck and happy hunting!

3. I'm not 100% sure, but I think a replacement neck from Fender would be about $300, and that's without machines. I'm not sure if you'd get a nut with it either.

Good luck.

Mike