Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 62RI Jazz pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawndart, Nov 2, 2004.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Anyone have pics of their 62Ri Jazz or another pic of it? All i see are black pics and i realize it comes in white as well as sunburst. Thank you

sean

2. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    bump for the electionday crew.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey lawndart,
    This was my original "#1", and is still the bass that has the most sentimental meaning to me. The photos aren't great, but they're photos nonetheless. I bought this bass new around 1992, and have loved it ever since. I'm not sure where the quality is at on these now, and I don't think they do as nice of a job on the sunburst finishes as they used to, but they're stil very nice basses.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
  5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Thank you all!!! Those are sooo beautiful! The sunburst looks soo nice and the white is just.......WOW!!! Do you have any opinions on the concentric volume/tone, volume/tone knobs? My first bass was a MIM Jazz with the volume, volume, tone config. And what strings do you all use? And any neck problems? Again thank you for those sweet pics.

6. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ

Bovinehost,
    does the body turn yellow over time?

7. Hey Bovine...

Now that is one sweet looking axe!

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Concentric vol/vol & tone/tone:

I didn't really care for this at the outset, but after some experimentation, I was able to dial in "my tone". If you want to, it would be pretty easy to change the controls and have it wired vol/vol/tone. In fact, there are times when I appreciate being able to dial in more of the tone control on the neck pickup and a bit less on the brighter bridge pickup....to somewhat balance out the natural tendencies of the two pickups...bassy and dark vs. bright and trebly.

Strings:

I belive that I currently have a set of Ken Smith strings on mine (which I really like...."rock bass", I think...or maybe "burners"), but I've used DR strings to good effect as well.

Neck problems:

I have three major complaints about this bass, and they all involve the neck. The neck is the achillies heel of the '62 Reissue model, in my opinion. First, my bass had rediculously high action when it arrived. It had since been set up, but the truss rod is close to being maxed out and the action is still pretty high. I don't necessarily mind it, as I prefer higher action than most, but if you're looking to rake the strings across the frets, you couln't do it on my bass....unless you detuned about 8 steps! :D My bass, and other '62 RIs I've tried (like many Fenders) suffers from the dreaded C# dead spot....again, not a big deal. Finally, in order to adjust the truss rod, you have to remove the neck. This has been a significant issue with me over the years, as it makes set-up tweaks a royal pain. I understand that Fender was trying to be "true to '62 specs", but this tiny modern convenience would have made a huge impact in the usability of the bass. I'm not sure if this "problem" would be a deal-breaker, but it has been a thorn in my side. :( Otherwise, my '62 has one of the best necks of any bass I've ever played. It's THE neck that I judge all others by! ;)

9. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    After about 2 years, mine developed a bow and maxed out truss. In fact, I remember the relief being a little excessive when I first got it.

Just a word, at this point, about Fender customer service. I emailed both Fender US and Fender Aust about the neck issue and had immediate responses from both. Although out of warranty, US said they'd replace the neck no probs and offered to organise a temp replacement. The Director, here in Aust, rang me personally on a Saturday afternoon! A new neck was fitted within a couple of weeks. At the time, Aust had a 1 year warranty period.

The neck is now a heavily flamed maple. You can't see it on the headstock in the pic due to the angle and lighting. Action is very low and frets super level. After an initial couple of adjustments, the neck has remained rock solid for the past 4 years.

I'm using D'Addario "Slowounds" 45,65,85 and 110. I put them on after the neck replacement. They still sound nice and crisp.

Over the years, I've had about 4 J Basses. This one is unboubtably the best.

I have no preference over the controls. I set the stacked knobs full on. I used to do that with the VVT aswell. I like the look of the stacks.

For any truss adjustment, I find it easy to remove the pg and use a long shafted, flat tipped driver, rather than neck removal.

The neck has a dead spot on the G string at C#. I've had that with every Bass I've owned...Js, Ps, a Ric and Sting Rays.

All in all, I'm a happy chappy :smug:

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sorry I don't have any pics of my two 62RI's; sunburst(1984) and black(1997). The quality sure seems to have been consistant over that kind of year spread, especially since I never played either one before purchasing.

I use either MTD or DR Hi-beams (both stainless) 45-105's on them. They sound awesome, bright and I have a pretty hi-fi tone.

I never remove the necks from any of my Fenders for adjustments. Just like nivagues says in his post, I too remove the pickguard and use a long-shaft screwdriver. It's much easier that way.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Sorry if this may sound like a dumb question....what is under the neck on the pickguard? It looks like it is a thumb placement, but it's off centered and below the pickups. Is it an extra pickup? Is it just for looks? Does it have a practical purpose? What is it? ...oh wait I already asked that one :).

Thanks

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's a "finger rest" (the opposite of a thumb rest, which would be on top). Back in those days, a lot of bass players played with their thumbs to get extra bottom (not slapping, just using their thumbs instead of their fingers). Some players also liked to hook their pinkys on it while using a pick, as well.

13. I like this, rare coloured, one:
    [​IMG]
    Now, where did I put my spare change?

14. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Hey lousybassist,

Mars Music (before they went out of business) used to sell that same colored 62RI, but with a matching headstock, made just for them. You can find 'em used if you look real hard.

Back in the day (80's through early 90's) Fender used to make the 62RI is all sorts of colors: sunburst, black, white, candyapple red, lakeplacid blue, ice blue, and fiesta red.
    Every once in a while an old color shows up on Ebarf.

15. And, I might add, if you live in the US of A. Which I don't.

I wish they still did, 'cause nowadays the colour choices on all AV basses are way too limited, IMO. I'm especially fond of the no longer available fiesta red '57 P-basses I've seen in pictures.

16. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    caca de kick,
    have you had any neck problems?

17. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Nope, none whatsoever! Also, neither of my two AV 62RI have the C# deadspot.