1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 64 Custom Shop NOS jazz vs Fender US 75 reissue jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hibass, Dec 7, 2011.

1. hibass

hibass

Dec 2, 2011
    Hi,
    I know it's quite stupid thing to compare these basses because different era,material,built quality etc... but i'm about to trade my 75 US reissue (+cash of course) for a 64 custom Shop NOS.unfortunately I never had the chance to try a 64 NOS CS but I've read many reviews and watched videos about it.Some people say a 64 NOS is one of the best sounding and built jazz ever (allegedly it's like a pre CBS vintage just you dont have to sell a kidney to get one).
    I love my 75 reissue and would be a serious heartache to let it go but I feel a custom shop jazz is worth to sacre my bass with extra cash.
    So if you have any experiences with comparing these two basses please let me know.
    Is a 64 CS that really good?
    Thanks

2. Bibby

Bibby

Aug 24, 2000
    I have a US 75 RI - they are great basses. Lot's of growly punch.

I have played one 64 NOS, but that was quite a few years ago. I also remember thinking it was a dud at the time. It was the first CS Fender I had ever played and I was expecting more. I really think this was an exception to the rule.

I prefer alder / RW Jazz's myself, and as cool as I think the 75 RI looks, I would have no problem swapping it for a 64 NOS provided it was a good one! I would definitely want to play it first, though, but I know that isn't always possible.

3. Two main things to consider right off the bat:
    1)Are you fond of an ash-bodied bass like the '75 as opposed to an alder body?
    2)Pick-up spacing?

4. The 64 CS will not sound like your 75 AV -- it's got 60's spacing on the bridge pickup. If you like the 60's Jazz tone (more tame, warm than the 70's tone) you'll be okay but don't assume it's a "better" bass. Nothing magic about a CS. They're made of wood, plastic and metal like every other bass.

5. hibass

hibass

Dec 2, 2011
    yeah ash and alder,60's and 70's pick up location always considerable things.I like both and couldn't tell which one is better.How about vibe and stability?64 has quartersawn neck?

6. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I can't compare the two, as I have never played a '75, but I do have a Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz, and I think it's a VERY nice instrument. I highly recommend one!