Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender '64 Jazz Bass NOS or '62 American Vintage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I've been looking into getting either an American Vintage '62 bass or a '64 Jazz Bass NOS if I can find one used sometime in the next few months. Are there any Fender experts in here that could tell me a few differences between them? What one is preferred for whatever reason? Thank you.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    They have a slightly different neck profile, slightly different pickups, and the CS Jazz has an all-nitro finish while the 62 RI has a nitro over thin poly sealer finish.

Other than that, they are very similar, but the odds of finding a particularly good one are better with the CS. That said, there are 62 RIs that are just as good as any CS bass (I found one).

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm a Sadowsky guy and very picky, but one of the nicest bases I ever played was the 64 CS. The CS had a medium weight very resonant body, smooth tone, sweet "played in" neck feel, and great overall vibe. The 62's I've played and I've played at least half a dozen examples, felt dead, sounded dead and were not impressive to me at all. I would quicker go to the MIM or MIJ and put my money into pick ups and electronics then spend the money on the MIA 62, Maybe if you look long and hard for a good one you'll be OK.

4. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I was afraid you'd say the '64 NOS is better. Ha... So it will be a while before I can get one of those, but man that is a sweet looking bass.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Read what Burk said and then read what I said - we aren't disagreeing. The average CS bass is nicer than the average 62RI. But the 62RIs are often very good with some great ones.

I haven't run into many dead RIs in the last 3-5 years of production, save some that are hanging on store walls with dead strings and poor setups.

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Another thing to remember is that the 62 has stacked knobs with both vol and tone control for both pickups while the 64 has the more standard 3 knob controls

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yeah, the 62RI is really a 61RI.

Oh, does the 64 CS have a slab rosewood board? That might be another area of difference, and the grade might be better.

Honestly, for what the CS Jazzes go for, I'd rather have a Sadowsky.