1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 70's precision wanted!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darko74, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    Im looking for a 1970's precision but don't want to have to sell a kidney for one,

Could someone give me thoughts on this one? CLICK HERE

Im a bit nervous about purchasing from the internet.

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    its from mexico....i'd be careful on that one.
    seems kinda iffy...

3. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    Was thinking that myself. thanks

4. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    70's Fenders were crap! Check out a Japanese reissue -- PB70 is the name they go by.

For example, look up this item number on the bay: 250399285798

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i would not buy that old of a bass online , if there wad a 2009 fender and i played 5 at a shp and they all sounded the same i still would be scared of buying without seeing m if a bass is under 200 i dont care and buy whatever without playing.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It looks real to me...no one is going to fake a 72P that's that worn. It could be a killer player, but then it could also have a completely torqued neck...hard to tell without having it in your hands. This may be a case of paying more than you want for the peace of mind of a bass that won't show up unplayable.

7. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    Wow,I have a 1973 A neck Fender Precision, and it sure ain't "crap". Great playing and sounding bass. I have a Fender Japanese 75 Reissue and it does not even compare with my'73. Just like any Fender,play before you buy. Don't listen to somebody who just blurts out something is "crap" ,he more than likely heard somebody else say that.

8. Dom Phenom

Dom Phenom

Apr 24, 2008
    If youre looking for a 70s fender, bass NW has some on consignment right now - and they won't sell you garbage. They're good people IME, and you can usually cut a deal on consignment stuff. With the economy the way it is now, it's a good time to get a vintage fender. I've seen a lot of good looking Ps and Js from the 70s for between 1300-1700 in the past few months, whereas they seemed to be over 2k a year or two ago.

9. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Yes, true. Some were crap. But, some are "some of the best P basses ever" bar-freaking-none. You obviously have never played a good one. I have 2 of them, and I'm never looking back. I also own 4 Japanese Fenders so I kind of know what's going on, as it were. With a generalization like that, expect to get totally flamed by the likes of me. Everyones entitled to an opinion though, so I'll bite my tongue now.....anyway

Try to find a refin or a refret. Assuming youre looking to play it
    and original condition does not matter too much. Make sure
    you get a real grey bottom pickup. I think it's a key ingredient in the alchemy. Good Luck.

10. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    WOW!

What is more likely? All P basses made in the 70's are crap
    or your full of crap ... I think the answer is obvious

I have a mid 70's P bass & I have owned several other P's that were 80's & 90's models all were US made & none of them were even close to My old 76.

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Waynobass is getting eaten alive! Remember guys, TB is a place where opinions are allowed. If he is not a fan of 70s Fenders, then let him not be a fan. Why do you care what he thinks?

I agree. With a vintage instrument it is hard to know if it will come to you the way you want without playing it first. With a brand new RI you know it will be a standard feel, something you can try at a local Sam Ash or GC.

12. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    whats NW?

PS ive played a friends 70's precision and i loved it. Didnt mean this to get into a debate about whats better. Everyone has there own opinion.

13. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thats TB. Its been a total debate/hate forum for a while now.

If youre happy with a 70's Fender then get a 70s Fender. But $1200 is a lot to spend blind. Wait and check here on TB where we can be trusted, or at a local store (within 100 miles, dont be too picky) for one to show up. Thus, either yourself or a fellow TB'er can try it out for you.

Hope that helped a tad.

And NW stands for Northwest Music, I think.

14. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hey thanks Jordasch! I dont come on here that often so havnt noticed all that debate/hate stuff.

My problem is i live in Ireland and they don't pop up so often. Though i think ill leave that one i seen on ebay alone for now.

15. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Eh.. if you live in Ireland, shipping a bass from Mexico could get ugly. Especially if you havent played it. Bad things happen to good people my friend. I say wait it out, try out some new things. The RI's and MIA P basses are amazing, I know from experience.:bassist:

About the Debate and Hate thing. TB has turned into this lately. Its getting old. But one 16 year old cant change the internet! :rollno:

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

TB really hasn't changed. Its always had heads bumping, it sometimes just takes a while to see it in all its glory... but really, its no worse or even in some cases better than it was years ago.

Bass North West is the name of the shop. :)

17. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I guess I just havent been here through it all. It just seems like every thread I enter lately, Im greeted by a bunch of "know it alls" picking on someone asking a sincere question.

I guess the few of us who still want to help have to equal things out.

[/rant]

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Everyone's a know it all. ;)

Its just easier to see it online. :D

19. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    One of the most true comments I have seen here on TB.

20. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    An untrue blanket statement is always deserving of getting stomped on, let it go and it's like an endorsement. There's bad '70s Ps, and good '70s Ps, be careful. I've got a '76 and a '79 P, both very good. I've also got a '78 Yamaha BB800, if you want a great '70s P for a little money, find a MIJ Yamaha like that.
    BassNW is the first/largest (I think) bass only store in the world, located in Seattle. They have an excellent reputation, and it's fun just to look at their website, lots of cool stuff there, link: www.bassnw.com