Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 70's RI Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jan 17, 2005.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Anyone ever own or play one of these? I bought one (with no plans of keeping it ;) ) to "explore" the Fender J tone a little more. The bass is not a Custom Shop so there's no "extra" quality. I look at it as a Standard Fender with blocks, binding, and white paint. I think the pup is standard as well. Even so, it does sound and play nicely. I was told that Fender made 90 in white, red, blue, and some other color, but mine is Serial number 0848 :meh: . I can't find any info on these. Maybe someone can tell me more about this Fender Special Edition line of basses. This one was built in Aug 2003.

Attached Files:

2. From what I hear, these were supposed to be made for the European market in runs of about 200, but the number varies so I'm not sure. I have a LPB one in the repairshop waiting for a new neck. The neck wasn't responding well to the truss rod. It seems the build quality on these is about avereage for Fender. Which is to say mediocre :meh: Pickups are mediocre as well. Other than that, it's a beautiful bass.

Right now they're debating whether to send a direct replacement or a '75 RI neck, which I would prefer, actually. I've been waiting since May '04.
    Months after I purchased it ,there was another one hanging in a local store and it had the same problem.

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What year was yours made? What do you think of the tone?

JB

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have one of the original Candy Apple Red 75R.I. special edition fsr basses. 200 were produced by Fender for the european market (thus no country of origin on bass). Only 60 went abroad and 140 stayed stateside. I spoke to Fender about this bass before the other two basses came out. The bass has vintage 75 pups, an ash body, a 3 bolt neck, bound neck w/whiite pearl block and binding. The only thing about the bass not 75 is the CAR color which was not available in 75, thus the FSR (factory Special Run) designation. Now the white and the blue basses a marketed as 70's jazzes (my hang tags specifically say 75R.I.) and those prodution numbers will be different.

5. I believe it was made around 2002. The tone was average, not great, not bad. One thing I did notice, was the neck profile being a bit thinner than my old '76 Jazz, but it was nice and light and the Lake Placid Blue was just too gorgeous to pass up. Throw a couple of CS '60s pickups in there and you got a winner.

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I do find the neck very comfortable and the tone definately Fender. How does the tone compare to your '76 Jazz? How do you think CS '60s pups would effect the tone?

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I saw one of those CAR 75 RI with matching headstock in the store last year; sweet looking bass. Word is, Sadowsky made all the odd serial numbered basses. :D

:bag:

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Drats, I've got one with an even number :meh:

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
  10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I rechecked and mine is an odd number. It even says made in Brooklyn, NY! :D

:meh: I get no hum when soloing the pups. Is this the same for the Fender CS'60s.?

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    ROTFLMAO, you guy's are INSANE!

Here is the original hang tag from my 75R.I. special edition CAR jazz

12. You are correct sir :oops: A brand new set of Custom shop pu's is on the way ;)

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    CU's from where? How much?

14. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I have one of the Olympic White 70s Jazz basses. I love the bass, it has a good feel to it and the sound is decent. Adding the custom shop pups is a thought...

I checked with Fender on at least the Oly White 70s jazz bass, they said it was an alder body and not ash. The bridge PUP placement is that of a 70s jazz.

It seems the CAR RI is a different beast. I'm not sure about the Lake Placid Blue ones.

This is actually my second Oly White 70s jazz. The first one had a maxed out truss rod. The guys at Guitar Trader paid for the shipment back and sent me a new one.

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Do the 70's R.I. basses have a 3 or 4 bolt neck?

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    3-bolt w/micro adjustment.

I just confirmed that mine was built August 2003. Body is alder.

17. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Dunno if it counts or not, but I have a MIJ 75 RI.
    It plays awesome and sounds even better.
    Has Custom pickups and that Microtilt system.

Here`s a pic

18. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I have a question, can one think of these 70s RIs (at least the Oly White ones) as really a 70 - 72 Jazz bass re-issue?

That is: closer bridge pickup and alder body. The exception is, of course, the 3 bolt neck.

Anybody know when Ash became the primary wood for the jazz bass? My Fender Bass history book states that it started in the early 70s but did not note a specific year.

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's funny yoy should say that because I measured the distance between the rear pup and bridge on my Geddy and it's the same as my 75R.I.