1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 70th Anniversary Precision Ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ricoco, May 27, 2020.

1. Ricoco

Ricoco

May 3, 2020
    Hi everyone,

Long time browser, first time poster here! Hi from Australia, the forum has been a great resource for me over the years.

I thought it might be fun to start a bit of speculation around what we might like to see for a 70th anniversary precision bass from Fender next year?

I know I am a big fan of black anodized guards, circa 2001 and the 50s styling on the 2011 was cool too! Roasted necks are booming at the moment...what are your thoughts?

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    What's a fender precision?

3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I like powder coated aluminum best. :cool:

Did you really want this in the double bass section?

4. Ricoco

Ricoco

May 3, 2020
    No I did not....clearly I have no idea what I am doing as a first time poster hahaha. Can a mod move this? Or should I repost? :wacky:

Powder-coated is great too!!

bobyoung53, Swerve and westrock like this.
  5. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    One of the mods will catch it. If you want to you can PM one of the mods from either section. On the DB side it's @Chris Fitzgerald or @TroyK.

Re: powder coated aluminum, it's sort of an inside joke; it's what my DB is made of. I'm sort of prejudiced.

Edit: Looks like the thread has been moved to the BG side.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  6. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    I hope they do a historically accurate version of the 51 slab P bass. No funny business like a 9.5 inch radius or bridge pup. The AVRI and AO have really strayed away from a model like this for some reason.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Anything so long as it's not tobacco burst, vintage burst, antique burst, violin burst, sienna burst, amber burst, brown burst, mystic burst, cognac burst, chocolate 3-color burst, chocolate 2-color burst, regular 3-color-sunburst orv2-color sunburst.
    (Did I miss any?)
    I'd really like to see a P bass with a Danelectro type finish...
    Photo-Collage-20200428-060256092.jpg ...but should an anniversary issue simply pay tribute to the original by staying true to tradition, only being offered in the original finishes?
    If so, I'd be less than interested.

8. Just gonna say- I would love to see Antigua finish make a comeback!!

4andnomore, Shaggai, vid1900 and 8 others like this.
  9. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I hope they forget about the whole thing. I've got FAR too many P-basses already.:laugh:

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Ik tire of he premium prices "anniversary this" type marketing. If their goal is to remain a viable company in a viable industry, they have to catch the interest of the younger consumer - not the 55 year or who already has half a dozen (or more) instruments.

MartialDylan and Yonni like this.
  11. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Excellent points here!

I'm thinking the price tag of this hypothetical bass will be geared toward that 55 year old that already has a half dozen basses though. I don't think this will be a MIM model.

12. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Tremelo, ebony fretless, ash body, no pickguard, 3 EMG P sets with a 5-way Strat switch.

You asked. I'm serious. That's what I want.

FugaziBomb, Dabndug, jmon and 4 others like this.
  13. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Definitely would like to see something different than another iteration of turdburst/tortloaf. Surely there's something out there that's innovative, celebratory, and befitting of such a release. If not, is there really any reason to release an anniversary edition?

14. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    Normally you’d expect an anniversary edition to celebrate the great past models, but Fender seem to have flogged that horse to death already. Instead I’d like to see a modern P:
    1.625” nut
    Modern C shape and depth neck
    Nitro body with oiled neck (go on, I dare you!)
    10-12” radius
    String through
    Lightweight (sub 9lbs)
    Maybe a minimal variation in the body shape
    New colours - and I mean new, not naff (That’s Limey speak for corny). No Neon, no gold or mint pick guard.

If it’s going to be a one off, make it unique. Prove you can still design.

Ethan Park, Pocket4, JoePP and 2 others like this.
  15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Fender 70th Anniversary Precision Ideas
    Why?

If there must be one, I'd hope they'd make it a faithful( down to the small detail) reproduction of their first ever bass( but made as well as a proper boutique builder might) and sell it at an affordable price point.

16. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    These two statements are mutually exclusive! They can’t even consistently get mass production quality right. I’m not knocking Fender with that statement but we all know the inconsistencies in weight and finish they have. Their business model doesn’t allow for that. I’ve no idea why when companies like Lakland can manage it. But I think you’re asking for the impossible. Whatever it is it will probably be expensive.

GregC likes this.
  17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Hence the 'why?' :)
    Others can, Fender won't.
    I don't give my money to someone who seems that complacent.
    My main bass is a single coil P-style bass and I really like that format. I also looked at some Fender ones before commissioning the build from a builder I like and trust.

Yonni likes this.
  18. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    I’ve been searching for a Precision for about a year. Shoulder injury and bad back means it needs to be light. I also prefer the narrower necks. I let a secondhand one slip through my fingers a while back but apart from that I’m seriously asking myself why I don’t just buy a Lakland or something else instead?? I’ve never owned a Fender bass and I’d like to. So I guess I’ll keep looking until I find the right one.

19. You would have to decide for such a bass . . . .

A) Do you want some sanding-marks perfect recreation of a '51

or . . . .

B) Something along the lines of 'This is the best we make / everything we've learned in 70 years' ?

Personally? A version of this . . . .

Classic Vibe '50s Precision Bass® | Squier Electric Basses

. . . . brought in at a 2021 equivalent price of what the '51 sold for in 1951, updated content-wise to make that price and a profit. Put a Squier or Fender decal on it, I don't care.

To me, the 'good' Squiers are the 'most' Fender to me: Not exactly paragons of the guitar maker's art, but everyman, blue-collar axes, simply and ingeniously useful, and built to a price where you can still have a hot dog and a beer. To me, that would be a fitting celebration of Mr. Fender's legacy.

I'd suggest the B) model(s) are already built every day, at nosebleed prices for not a lot of improvement over the VM or CV Squiers. Look at the way-too-deep duplication of their basic designs across too many product lines, it's just silly to me. I'd suggest building the same things at 5 or 6 different price points is ultimately not a good thing.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd look at Basslab<Soul-Bass – BassLab – Basses & Guitars> as I am quite sure they can make you one that is really light without sacrificing tone.

Maybe sandberg will come out with one in the context of their really light series of basses...?

Elrick is another one>Elrick Handcarved Icon 4-String Bass Guitar, Gold Series>...

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021